• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assistance Needed: MEP-803a will run for 15 mins and quit

Billy2642

Got an 803A that I’m having some issues with. Gen has 33 hours on it. Picked it up last week and when I start it, it starts fine and runs great for about 10-15 mins and then peters out like it’s out of fuel but the tank in half full. Changed both the fuel/water separator, small fuel filter, and swapped a known good fuel pump in. No change. Once it peters out, it will crank but won’t start even though it seems it wants to. It has to sit for a bit before it will restart and then do it all over again. I bled the system as the TM said after changing everything. It seems fuel related but what else could it be? The fuel solenoid is staying open as it should. No fault lights when this happens, oil pressure stays good, and battle short on or off doesn’t make a difference. Any ideas?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you inspected the tank or drained it? Could be floating trash that blocks your fuel feed, and settles back out after a time. Have you inspected the fuel lines for deterioration? They could be collapsing (but Im betting on something in the tank)

Billy2642

Have you inspected the tank or drained it? Could be floating trash that blocks your fuel feed, and settles back out after a time. Have you inspected the fuel lines for deterioration? They could be collapsing (but Im betting on something in the tank)
that’s the plan for this morning. Just seems weird that it’s almost a consistent time that it runs and then peters out. Seems if it was something in the tank, it wouldn’t be as consistent. Regardless, I’m going to drain the tank just to check that off the list

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it doing this unloaded, or under load? Are you SURE the pump is known and good? Does the set abruptly shut down, or does it sputter like fuel is running out? Does the exhaust have a color to it, or otherwise change during this condition?

Billy2642

Is it doing this unloaded, or under load? Are you SURE the pump is known and good? Does the set abruptly shut down, or does it sputter like fuel is running out? Does the exhaust have a color to it, or otherwise change during this condition?
doing this unloaded.It sputters like fuel is running out. No change in the exhaust. I’ve tried 2 different pumps now and absolutely no change.

Billy2642

UPDATE: so I cleaned the tank, got a new line from the sending unit to the pump, fresh fuel, filters, and bled it. Still doing the same thing. I took a video but not sure how to post it. I’m going to see it will run just out of a can. If not, it seems like it has to be something from the pump forward but what?

Billy2642

UPDATE: so I cleaned the tank, got a new line from the sending unit to the pump, fresh fuel, filters, and bled it. Still doing the same thing. I took a video but not sure how to post it. I’m going to see it will run just out of a can. If not, it seems like it has to be something from the pump forward but what?

UPDATE 2: no different running it from a can. Cranks and will barely start and sputters out again.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would disconnect the fuel pump and run a line back to the tank (through the main fuel fill inlet) and let it cycle for the same time duration... lets see if the pump is failing by itself during the run. If that runs and displays no issues, move forward through the fuel line system checking each run. Fuel, air, compression... have you checked/replaced the air filter?

robson1015

It sounds like it runs fine till it gets to operating temp then shuts down till it cools down. Does it run good till it heats up ? Mine takes about 15 minutes to get to 180-200 degrees. If it runs good till warm up probably isn't a fuel problem but a thermostat or temp sending unit.

Billy2642

It sounds like it runs fine till it gets to operating temp then shuts down till it cools down. Does it run good till it heats up ? Mine takes about 15 minutes to get to 180-200 degrees. If it runs good till warm up probably isn't a fuel problem but a thermostat or temp sending unit.
It gets to temp and then continues to run for a couple more mins. When it shuts down it doesn’t throw a light or anything which is what I would think would happen if it was overheating. Also, if it was a safety shutdown, wouldn’t it shut down as if you turned the switch off instead of sputtering out of a 30 second or so period?

robson1015

I have a polaris ranger. Had the same exact issue-would run fine for 30 minutes then sputter and die. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Would get hot and shut down, then would cool off and run good again till the pump heated up. BUT you stated that you are using a known working pump...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks