• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto crane 5005h on 925

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fair warning...a full write-up is expected. I was just talking to Autocrane last week about some specs on some cranes I had been looking at. I've come to the conclusion that installing a knuckle boom crane is beyond the amount of work I am prepared to take on. A 24v Autocrane would be much simpler and still meet most of my wants.

Is it electric over hydraulic or full hydraulic off a PTO?

Following your lead...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Fair warning...a full write-up is expected. I was just talking to Autocrane last week about some specs on some cranes I had been looking at. I've come to the conclusion that installing a knuckle boom crane is beyond the amount of work I am prepared to take on. A 24v Autocrane would be much simpler and still meet most of my wants.

Is it electric over hydraulic or full hydraulic off a PTO?

Following your lead...

Which?

I might have access to a 3203.

74M35A2

The cargo bed floor is much less sturdy than one thinks. It looks like you plan to install a plate above and below the bed floor, and reinforce the under with angle iron? Hopefully? If you want to be lifting Jeeps at many feet extended out, I don't think the cargo bed floor will have any part of it. I did a simple pickup truck bed crane in mine, floor not reinforced, and lifted a 400lb aluminum 4 cyl engine with crane not extended, and the floor was lifting and bending like crazy. I have not reinforced it yet, but I would think just the weight of your crane alone, bouncing hard in the back of a 9, will be prying pretty hard on the floor. If you really want to lift a Jeep with it, I'm not sure spanning even several underfloor bed gussets with additional structure will do it.

Just advising to do some homework to avoid disappointment. Get it working nice and strong and it will be a lot of fun.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cargo bed floor is much less sturdy than one thinks. It looks like you plan to install a plate above and below the bed floor, and reinforce the under with angle iron? Hopefully? If you want to be lifting Jeeps at many feet extended out, I don't think the cargo bed floor will have any part of it. I did a simple pickup truck bed crane in mine, floor not reinforced, and lifted a 400lb aluminum 4 cyl engine with crane not extended, and the floor was lifting and bending like crazy. I have not reinforced it yet, but I would think just the weight of your crane alone, bouncing hard in the back of a 9, will be prying pretty hard on the floor. If you really want to lift a Jeep with it, I'm not sure spanning even several underfloor bed gussets with additional structure will do it.

Just advising to do some homework to avoid disappointment. Get it working nice and strong and it will be a lot of fun.
Yup, the floor's gonna need some extra enforcement. I wound up welding 4 pieces of angle iron to the bed's stringers to form a more solid base for the hiab I installed. Only lifted ~1500lbs so far, and the bed doesn't flex now, but the truck does settle onto the suspension. (No outriggers yet)

Edit: Went back and looked at the photos, and yup, there's a bunch of angle there already. :) Good call on getting the crane base up off the bed a bit.

dmetalmiki

Bl..y hopeless! why not just take a little time and post pictures on "Advanced" Add pictures..choose, Upload. Then we can (actually) SEE what you are trying to accomplish in sequence. Tap WHAT??? is c..p..and it is fought with with BUGS.
Moderators can you not enforce posting pictures in one EASY format..as the site (already) provides.

Rmtaunton

Well the pics were posted on tap talk sorry you can't see them I'll edit later, as far as bracing , the bed will have nothing to do with it will be similar to this but with 4x6x5/16 tube steel in stead of Chanel . As for our riggers as for now it will have pockets and detachable sleeves with screw jacks till I find an easier way

It will have a 27 inch pedestal witch will let it spin without hitting group seats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rmtaunton

Oh and hydraulic , rebuilding the pump that's on it and setting it to 2200 with a selector valve and yes I am putting a separate relief at 1700 on the winch side

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1700 psi relief is in the winch control valve. Put your selector before the winch valve. Are your crane control valves open centered?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
After working with thick wall tube for my dump trailer project, I will be using channel next time! I'm glad I have a magdrill cause drilling those holes square and parallel would have been horrible with a hand drill! Lots of beveling for welding too. What a pita.

Rmtaunton

Gimp I know and yes will have mag drill !!! Can't find a good one to buy but I am patient good news is I can borrow one wouldn't attempt 20 7/8 holes with out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks