• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux fuse panel. No fuse still power..?

Bravojmc

Hi guys, so I installed a 24v to 12v converter and it works great. It's making 12.3v from 25v. Now to the problem... I installed a Aux fuse panel and I have 12.3v at the main post into the fuse panel. I check the voltage on the fuse output and perfect 12.3v. Now the issue. If I pull the fuse I'm still getting 10.3v.... if I pull the fuse IMO I should have zero volts right...? Also need to tell you I don't have any accessories hooked up to the panel yet. As you guys can see the panel has leds that light up when the connection is broke. When I pull the fuse the leds don't light.. is this from me not having an accessory connected ?
Here is a picture.
IMG_7934.jpg
Also when I check ohms with fuse in I have a connection. With no fuse no connection. Sorry my electrical terms are for the birds...

Last edited:

Bravojmc

Ok guys,
Me not being an electrician I found out you need a accessory plugged into the fuse panel for the LED light to come on if the circuit is broke. The accessory needs to be grounded. As for me having voltage after the fuse is pulled. I've been reading that the digital multimeter I'm using will show voltage when a anolog meter wouldn't show anything...? Weird.

MarcusOReallyus

Ok guys,
Me not being an electrician I found out you need a accessory plugged into the fuse panel for the LED light to come on if the circuit is broke. The accessory needs to be grounded.

That's common.

As for me having voltage after the fuse is pulled. I've been reading that the digital multimeter I'm using will show voltage when a anolog meter wouldn't show anything...? Weird.
That should not happen. If there is a capacitor in the circuit after the fuse, it will hold voltage after the fuse is pulled, and an analog voltmeter will drain it much faster than a digital meter, but you still should see the voltage unless it's a very small capacitor.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are seeing reverse diode voltage. LED's are diodes, typically installed as jumpers across the fuses. Remove the fuse and the led lights IF there is some resistance across the load circuit. When not forward biased (fuse out, no load) they allow a little current to flow into the resistive load a digital meter presents, so the meter reads something.

The different readings between types of meters is due to the load the meter puts on the circuit. The digital meters present megohms of load. An analog meter can load as heavy as a thousand ohms per volt.

Last edited:

Bravojmc

I think you are seeing reverse diode voltage. LED's are diodes, typically installed as jumpers across the fuses. Remove the fuse and the led lights IF there is some resistance across the load circuit. When not forward biased (fuse out, no load) they allow a little current to flow into the resistive load a digital meter presents, so the meter reads something.

The different readings between types of meters is due to the load the meter puts on the circuit. The digital meters present megohms of load. An analog meter can load as heavy as a thousand ohms per volt.
This is exactly what I needed! I really wish I had the brains for electronics like you!!! Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks