• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle cork & Hub flip

Jake0147

wilco said:
...Can you use locktight gasket eliminater in place of the small cork piece...
No, good name but the wrong stuff. I suspect that the above solution with silicone gasket makers will be OK, but prep and careful application would be required. Locktite does offer some of these in their brand, but gasket eliminator (515, 518, 548) is an inappropriate product for this purpose. Gasket eliminator would be just fine and very appropriate to seal the axle flange to the hub when you bolt that back on, but silicone gasket maker is quite acceptable here as well.

FormerNewMVGuy

RE: Re: Axle cork & Hub flip

Well you can buy a whole sheet of rubberized cork from Mcmaster=carr for 13 dollars and that is enough to make about a thousand inserts. I know thats what i did and i have no worries about leaks.

ida34

RE: Re: Axle cork & Hub flip

Older model chevy 350 valve cover gaskets work great also. That being said, the last set I did got silicone instead of the cork.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always used cork along with some silicon slathered on it. To use silicon alone, the axle housing must be extremely clean. Found out the hard way.

kurtkds

It looks like I need to get in the the rear axle to replace the outer oil seal or repair/ replace the cork plug. I've done some searching for a size of the socket to remove the axle nut. I've gome up with a 3" socket. Is this correct?

If not what is the correct size?

kurtkds

Well I finally got around to checking that leaking seal after that wheel started making some noise the other day.

I looks like a newbie in the motor pool worked on it before it hit GL. I found that the brake shoe retainer bolts had worked loose and were allowing the leading shoe to pull away from the backing plate and wedge itself up against the drum and binding up. It also made for long pedal travel since the leading shoe wasn't sitting on the adjuster cam.

I also found that the axle nut wasn't tightened down enough and was allowing the inner race to spin on the spindle plus the outer seal had been bent outward when that mech was trying to remove the seal and no amount of cork was going to stop the leak.

I had a cork valve cover gasket sitting around so I used that for the wedge and replaced the outer seal and repacked the bearings. I also used some loctite bearing retainer to hold the inner race in place plus I tightened the locking nuts some more.

Attachments

Last edited:

kennys@wi.rr.com

Does anyone have a picture of where these cork gaskets go or what they look like? Doing my rear hubs now and have seen no cork anywhere. Maybe this is adding to my leak?

Thank you

kennys@wi.rr.com

You know after reading a bunch of threds and thinking more about this it hit me, maybe my seals aren't bad but someone neve put the cork in the keyway? I read in one thred that the rear seal is a greese only seal and when oil mixes with the bearing greese it will wash past the rear seal. It also stated that this happens when oil leaks past the key way cork. Funny thing is that the seals that are on there are new and shinny still and I didn't see anything in the key way. Could I be onto something or is it wishful thinking?

And thank you for the post DieselBob, very helpful.

kennys@wi.rr.com

First stop tomorrow is the home store for a 3" pvc coupler to make the seal tool. Then I will rtv the keyway and put her back together and see what happens. Wish I would have looked at that closer before I bought the seals and took it all off. **** ADD I could have saved so much work by just reading and looking for the small stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks