• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Hub Bearing... need a diagram

Somemedic

Fellas,

Im getting quite a bit of heat off my front hub. Replaced the caliper and pads since the old one seemed froze up. The hub spins somewhat by hand still but dont feel right. Ive had the truck 6yrs but never replace the bearings SO Im going to try it. The tm blow up diagram was hard to decipher, anyone have another refrence for the blow up? Any tips? Different tools?

DokWatson

Which axle are you talking about? Dana 60 is so easy you probably won't even need a diagram of your a mechanic guy. All you need is a Dana 60 spindle nut socket, which any auto parts store will have.

Last edited:

firecontrol86

The only tools you'll really need is the axle nut socket(at autozone it's called the 1/2 ton axle nut socket, basically a big socket with 4 little teeth coming off it) and some snap ring pliers for the snapring on the end of the axle. I just did all 4 corners of my 1009

firecontrol86

Which axle are you talking about? Dana 60 is so easy you probably won't even need a diagram of your a mechanic guy. All you need is a Dana 60 spindle nut socket, which any auto parts store will have.
Oh yeah, good point. I just saw that you have an 1009 and a 1008, it's prob different for the 1008, mine's the blazer.

Somemedic

Sorry gents, the front drivers side on the Blazer.

Had the passenger apart the first year I had it and iirc there were a bunch of parts and hpw they went together was by **** magic. Truck would pull hard to the right when I hit the brake prior to replacing the caliper but that is no longer the case, however, the drivers hub is warmer than the passenger hub after being driven. Im guessing the bearings and/or race need some tlc. May have averted a costly axle repair by catching this now as opposed in a few months.

Not scared to do it or afraid to get dirty, just really lookin for a clear blow up and instructions.

firecontrol86

I used the TM diagram a little bit, mostly when I took it apart i just set everything in the order I pulled it out in. Wish I could be of more help, I'm sure you'll get it easy enough.

camojcory

I noticed my hubs were hot to the touch last week and thought my brakes were dragging. I checked the brakes and they are fine.

i am also having a problem with the front end drifting and then catching and jerking the entire truck to one side or the other. i couldn't find anything wrong so i took it to a local shop. they did the free quick look and said everything looked ok to them also. then they told me they would have to tear the entire thing apart and just start replacing things until they figured it out and it would cost over $800.

that's when i figured i'ld go to someone else. So now i still have this problem and i am no closer to finding out whats causing it. what could it be if everything looks ok?

Somemedic

Camo, my 1008 does something similar. Steering alignment is out of whack until you make a hard left or right and then theres a sudden jerk and everything is better. Im guessing you have 2 issues... 1 is you need to regrease/pack your front hubs. 2 your (and mine) steering box may need to be replaced. Its for a whole other thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks