• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AxleTech 400 axles

sjohn116

There were recently some axletech 4000 for sale on a popular Government auction site, axletech 4000...

Disc Brakes
Air brakes
and selectable locker in the 3rd member
literally BOMBPROOF (more accurately "RESISTANT") axles off MRAP

Axles were from a 9ton truck, removed when they switched the trucks from leaf springs to independent/coil suspension. I dont have these axles, nor do I have an FMTV anymore, but the thought crossed my mind:

"IF the leaf spring side-to-side (center to center) distance is the same for these axles and the Meritors, given the right axle ratio, could you use this as THE way to get selectable lockers front AND rear into LMTVs without the $2000 per locker cost quoted/estimated in a different thread?"

These axles are popular in the rock crawling/mud bogging/off-roading world, and can be found for $2500 a piece from vendors. Units that just sold were roughtly $500 for the steer axle, $180 for the rear axle. Ok, now that I've thrown that fuel into the fire while sitting on the sidelines (dont have a military truck candidate), "DISCUSS AMONGST YOURSELVES" (name that quote while you're at it).

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 widths and 2 gear ratios for these axles. What the fmtv would need is the wider axles, but they had lower gear ratios for taller tires and the hi speed gears from the narrow axle sets. True planetary hubs and cv steer knuckles to round them out. I believe the spring perches are a little bit different width. I would gladly take this on if I could find the axles for reasonable price.

scottmandu

They certainly are not a bolt in. The axletech pumpkins are centered, LMTV pumpkins are offset. Spring perches in different locations etc etc

scottmandu

There are 2 widths and 2 gear ratios for these axles. What the fmtv would need is the wider axles, but they had lower gear ratios for taller tires and the hi speed gears from the narrow axle sets. True planetary hubs and cv steer knuckles to round them out. I believe the spring perches are a little bit different width. I would gladly take this on if I could find the axles for reasonable price.
I've got an IFS from an MRAP and a solid rear 4000 if only I had the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks