• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-25 Mitchell Bomber

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a thread dedicated to the B-25 Mitchell Bomber.
It was this aircraft type that Jimmy Doolittle and his Raiders flew to Japan and bombed Tokyo in America's first air strike upon the Japanese mainland during WWII.

WIKI Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_B-25_Mitchell

Here's a recent video that sparked this thread's creation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVR5USqAQrc

800px-North_American_B-25_Mitchell_3-view.svg.png . b25cutaway.jpg

Here are some pics of the B-25 standing vigil at the South Gate of Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, Texas...

2012-03-14 Goodfellow AFB South Gate 007.jpg2012-03-14 Goodfellow AFB South Gate 008.jpg2012-03-14 Goodfellow AFB South Gate 009.jpg2012-03-14 Goodfellow AFB South Gate 010.jpg2012-03-14 Goodfellow AFB South Gate 015.jpg2012-03-14 Goodfellow AFB South Gate 018.jpg

2012-03-14 Goodfellow AFB South Gate 013.jpg Goodfellow for a time was a B-25 training base. The plane on display represents the TB-25's used here. Training in the use of the NORDEN BOMB SIGHT was also conducted here.

History records that one of the pilots in the Doolittle Raid was a product of GAFB.

Piper Cub

Somewhere I have a picture of a B25 closing in on the back of the Cessna I was landing at Palm Springs in. Think it was Memorial Day and they were doing an event with the Planes of Fame museum and the Palm Springs Air Museum. Since the stall speed on the bomber is so high we got the "expedite landing" call from the tower meaning land on the numbers and exit runway at the first opportunity 'cause the big planes coming. The B25's wheels touched down shortly after we turned of the exit taxiway onto the main. It's really cool to see and hear them up close like that.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm really having to dig DEEP in my hard drive space for these old pics I saved, for whatever reason. Sharing them now here one last time before I delete them off my HD on this end.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks