• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-47 Stratojet Bomber

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the mid-70s, I lived on the approach path to the Corpus Christi NAS, and was lucky enough to see Navy B-47s landing there. I thought them beautiful planes.
(For a plane-mad kid, that was a great place to live!).

If I recall correctly, these were EB-47Es, and though the Navy said at the time that they were weather planes, they were actually electronic warfare types. Later research leads me to believe there were only ever two of these aircraft, so I was especially lucky to have seen them.

The 1960s-80s were a great time for aeroplane watching. There were so many types flying then.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at my picture files, and have pictures of three different B-47s in Navy markings. Two are the EB-47Es, 52-4100 and 52-4120.
A third is 53-2104, which has obviously had the USAF markings cleaned off and Navy applied, don't know anything about that one.

Cheers

PS - a net search shows 52-4120 preserved and on display at Dyess AFB, TX, and 53-2104 preserved with the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum, but with the "Navy" marking now cleaned off and replaced with "US Air Force"!

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunzy

Sweet, my father was maintenance on them in the late '50s early '60s before he went to Air America.

saddamsnightmare

December 7th, 2015.

The Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler, GA (over by Savannah) has a lovely example of one, regrettably there are probably none of these flying, but then the B-52 was the next iteration and it is still going so many years later, just lacking the grace of the B-47.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks