• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

baby HEMTT Project

Jones

Well... I'm still alive and kicking although I am starting to show my mileage.
A variety of factors have brought me to the point where I feel it's time for me and the baby HEMTT to part company.
To that end I'm looking for council on finding it a new home. If the interest is there I'll post it in the classifieds.
Anyone following the posts will know what's been done to it so about all I need to figure out is whether to list it as;
"World's Heaviest Moveable Parts Pile" or "Super Project- (some assembly required).

Any thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom, horse laughs?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Glad to hear from you again, but bummed it's not an update to the project. I'm more than certain someone here could pick up the "baby HEMTT" project and see it through. I would, if we weren't on other sides of the country!

Jones

Thanks Patracy.

You're right, it's just finding that right person. I wish it was closer to roadworthy but it'll need to be trucked out of here and most people (me included) would prefer something they can just get in and drive. I've even thought of having someone get it streetable for me. At least then it could be driven up onto a trailer.
It's got clear California title, registration has a certificate of non-operation filed so there are no penalties or back fees against it.

Probably not a good candidate for the "donate your vehicle for a tax write off" programs out there. Think I need a foster home for baby HEMTTs.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How about listing what the BH is, again to bad it is on the west coast, this would be a good 1/2 FTF project.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get it to the Georgia Rally this year on have the guys put it together for you on the special projects team.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is a GREAT idea [thumbzup], We have NINE months, maybe the SS express can do the move, I would be willing to go west a bit to grab it then get it to the rally.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to hear from you again Leonard. Hate to see you part with the truck but totally understand. One thing that might be able to be put into play here is the team "Those Military Guys". They showed up at the GA Rally all the way from Cali and I hear they are coming back. Another thought is Soni in NM. Whoever gets this truck is getting a masterpiece for sure. Let me know if I can be of any assistance Sir!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps send a PM to M920, Soni just finished building a 6x6 version of the HEMTT, perhaps he might be interested in adding a 4x4 to his fleet! He's located in northern NM.

Jones

OK here goes.

The baby HEMTT is a 4X4 project truck I thought up as a toy. Old retired guy with vivid imagination and a few mechanical skills = dangerous combination.
It's based on an M35 deuce frame stripped and refitted w/ M900 series 5 ton axles (full air brakes, not air over hydraulic). Rear axle is from a USMC truck which means limited slip diff.
Tires are 16oo X 20s on Budd "garbage truck wheels" to give the correct width and offset.
To give it the HEMTT look it's set up with an LVS (USMC HEMTT) cab w/ second rear window installed behind the passenger seat for extra visibility.
Powerplant is a Cummins 5.9 Turbo Diesel From a Freightliner coupled to an Allison AT545n automatic. The Freightliner configuration means the engine has a bolt-on Bendix Tu-Flow 550 air compressor; gear driven, not belt driven. The Allison also has PTO style accessory drive one side of which runs a hydraulic pump for the material handling crane, "low" turbo mount and is intercooled.
Steering is through a Ross box originally from a Mack cab-over that was chosen because when mounted and connected to the steering shaft will point the truck in the same direction the steering wheel is turned (all other boxes reversed direction and became steer left, go right set-ups. Steering box mounts almost directly over the front axle so the box pitman arm runs a drag link that goes back to a repeater pitman arm then forward to the axle. That gives enough length to the drag link so that the truck doesn't try to "self-steer" in rough terrain.
Deuce bed has been shortened and located to create room for a Grove Material Handling Crane as well as the walkway around the rear of the engine.
All mounting hardware pieces and parts are my own construction based on the original HEMTT and Oshkosh design components. In order to make sure I was accurately reproducing any given mount or bracket I've collected about 6GB of photographs, drawings, blueprints, etc. of data including construction details during the build.
I've also got a little over 2GB of military TMs in my PDF library, almost half of which is vehicle and HEMTT-related. I'd probably just copy the entire folders onto a flash drive for someone else to sort through. Lots of juicy stuff there for someone's library.

All the heavy construction is done and the truck is to the wiring, air, hydraulic and coolant systems completion stage.
I even collected a complete set of stencils and stickers to be applied once the truck was done and painted. CARC paint for the truck is there although I'm not sure of it's viability. The cans, never opened, are still in their cases and its the later stuff that was moisture triggered for curing.
To do the proper wiring job I've collected a whole kit of Packard waterproof connector pieces including the special crimping tool that locks the wire end on without distorting the terminal.
All this stuff goes with the baby HEMTT so the new owner won't have to start from square one.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Sooooooo drooled over that truck. Your build was a serious inspiration to me. Hope she find as good of home as she is leaving! Best of luck!!

Bighurt

I too drooled over this project. If I had a shop I'd offer up space and some volunteer time to finish and return alas at present I don't.

Even if I had the funds to buy the project I don't think I'd feel right owning someone else's dream.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get it to the Georgia Rally this year on have the guys put it together for you on the special projects team.
Did not read any further than this post, had to jump in.

I am game. Even willing to fly into California and help get it onto a trailer and out to GA. Gives me a good excuse to come over again.

dutch smiley.jpg

Edit after reading the rest of the posts: Ron, sounds like a good trip

Last edited:

Jones

baby HEMTT update.

After posting that I was getting out of the baby HEMTT business, a fellow member from a neighboring state came over, looked at the truck and fell in love with it. To make a long story short; it's now at his place and drivable. My hat's off to him and his mechanical skills. After a couple of walk-arounds and with few maps and bread crumb trails to guide him, he's managed to do more in a few weeks than I got done in the last few years. I can't think of a better new owner.

He says it runs out good, rides good and starts and stops moving on command-- can't get much better than that.
Here's a video he sent me that I wanted to share.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks