• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back Up Camera for M1009?

jplace1011

After getting my windows tinted in my M1009, it’s been difficult to see out the rear window when backing up, in particular at night.

Has anyone installed a Back Up Camera for their CUCV? I know they make Dash Cam/Back Up Cam Combos. That’s a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_J

Needed on on my M1031 since the aluminum is not transparent ;)

I made a mounting box from 1/4" MDF, rounded it to match the face plate of the display and mounted it on the radio rack.

Rear camera is mounted to the center clearance light, not much for hitching but very good for driving and backing a trailer.

Cheap Amazon stuff

jplace1011

Needed on on my M1031 since the aluminum is not transparent ;)

I made a mounting box from 1/4" MDF, rounded it to match the face plate of the display and mounted it on the radio rack.

Rear camera is mounted to the center clearance light, not much for hitching but very good for driving and backing a trailer.

Cheap Amazon stuff
I just ordered a Cheap Dash and Rear Camera Combo via Amazon. Let’s see how it works out. It’s Low Risk since they have a Great Return policy. I’ll report back.

Thank you for the input my peeps!! :)

Keith_J

I ran cables under the floor mat, through existing hole in the floor with a grommet. Routed to the right side of the box, there was an existing hole for the communication gear in the right front compartment. From there, it goes through existing channel for box lighting to the center rear marker lamps.

No holes drilled. Now for the electrical? As these electronics are isolated negative, that was easy. The negative of the camera and display goes to switched 12 volt. The positive off the camera and display are powered by an auto reset circuit breaker from the 24 volt bus. This works to give 12 volts to the camera system, switched. And this reduces the current draw through the ignition switch.

jplace1011

I ran cables under the floor mat, through existing hole in the floor with a grommet. Routed to the right side of the box, there was an existing hole for the communication gear in the right front compartment. From there, it goes through existing channel for box lighting to the center rear marker lamps.

No holes drilled. Now for the electrical? As these electronics are isolated negative, that was easy. The negative of the camera and display goes to switched 12 volt. The positive off the camera and display are powered by an auto reset circuit breaker from the 24 volt bus. This works to give 12 volts to the camera system, switched. And this reduces the current draw through the ignition switch.
I installed a Dash Camera & Rear Camera System. I mounted the Rear Camera onto the Rack on the Roof. It works pretty good, but I still need to try it out at night.

If it works out well and I decide to keep it, I’ll replace the existing Plastic Ties with Metal Zipties. I’ll also cover the wire with that tubing, I forget the name of it.

I’ll report back!! :)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I installed a Dash Camera & Rear Camera System. I mounted the Rear Camera onto the Rack on the Roof. It works pretty good, but I still need to try it out at night.

If it works out well and I decide to keep it, I’ll replace the existing Plastic Ties with Metal Zipties. I’ll also cover the wire with that tubing, I forget the name of it.

I’ll report back!! :)

Smart move using Zip Ties to test fit it before you spend the time and effort to bolt it in place permanently. Need to think about what happens when somebody behind you has their headlights on high beam. Does that "blind" your camera? Could a different angle work better for you?

jplace1011

Smart move using Zip Ties to test fit it before you spend the time and effort to bolt it in place permanently. Need to think about what happens when somebody behind you has their headlights on high beam. Does that "blind" your camera? Could a different angle work better for you?
Thanks buddy! At this point it’s just a trial and error.

I had thought about mounting near/above the rear license plate. I’m just not thrilled about having the wire run out the bottom of the tailgate along the underside and up into the cab. Because of the wear and tear. Granted I can cover the wire with tubing or tape.

The rack seemed easier because there’s already holes in the side of the fiberglass top for wires to go into the cab.

I’ll think in your different angle idea. I’m planning on driving it around tonight for the first time after dark. Let’s see how it looks.

Last edited:

INFChief

Good point about headlights flooding out the picture.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks