• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BAD fuel leak. Remove entire maniforld heater system?

oddshot

The manifold heater pump on my M35a2 started POURING fuel out of its vent hole yesterday.

Can this entire system be removed from the Deuce? I can't see any reason why not ... but I figured I'd ask.

I found a lot of threads that discuss removing the flame heater fuel injector ... but I haven't found anything on the pump.

Is that pump rebuildable? I don't know what I'd do with it ... but it looks handy for something ...

oddshot

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, system can be removed in its entirety. The pump may have limited usefulness for other applications since it's only to be used intermittently.

rrrr

I had leaking issues with mine as well. I disconneted the fuel lines and put brass plugs in its place. I also disconnected the electrical connector at the small fuel pump on top of the motor as well. No more leaks. My motor starts easily as well in the exteme cold so I didn't see the need for it. I can reconnect it easily if necessary.

oddshot

Yes, system can be removed in its entirety. The pump may have limited usefulness for other applications since it's only to be used intermittently.
Thanks Guys! I thought it looked OK ... but figured it didn't hurt to check.

Yeah ... a little 24 VDC motor and pump might be good for something ... I'll take it apart and see what I have to do to rebuild it. Maybe I'll test it and get some data on pressures and such.

oddshot

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I want to use one as a squirt gun! Like when you aim one of your windshield wiper sprayers to shoot the car next to you.

kastein

The wiring harness for mine is badly frayed so I have simply unplugged it for now. Left the fuel lines connected as I didn't have any compression fitting caps handy, but the power circuit for the ignition transformer and pump can be unplugged easily, believe it is circuit 486, tagged right by the rubber shell connector to the heater harness (find circuit 33, the plug for the engine temp sensor, and follow it back till you find the wire for the heater harness.) You can disconnect and plug the fuel lines however you want to also. Then the entire system can be left in place until you decide to either remove it or repair it.

oddshot

I want to use one as a squirt gun! Like when you aim one of your windshield wiper sprayers to shoot the car next to you.
This could be the ground-bound equivalent of the C130 gunship.

Just gotta come up with a nozzle so's I can aim it at open window height!

But then I'd have to make one for both sides of the truck and configure it to select left or right.

oddshot

oddshot

BTW ... for those keeping score ...

I removed the system today ... and plugged up the lines.

I test drove it and it seems to be just fine.

YES NUBES ... you can remove the entire system!

oddshot

treeguy

The flame injection nozzle on mine was leaking fuel into the intake while not in use causing black sludge at some intake spots. I took the fuel supply to the pump and connected it to the injector return T and took the flame pump return that was on the T and put it on the pumps input port. This stopped the black sludge build up from the excess fuel.

oddshot

Man ... there are a LOT of these little pumps laying around doing nothing.

I wonder if this thing has the gumption to be turned into part of an engine pre-luber system?

I gotta take it apart to find out what kinda pump we are dealing with.

I also got to see if I can find some specs on this thing.

oddshot

oddshot

I would love to use one as that but I doubt they can handle the viscosity of motor oil, especially in the winter.
As the undertaker said ... "Remains to be seen"...

I dunno ... but I think its worth a look.

Or it could just end up as the basis for a HUGE super soaker!!!!!

oddshot

oddshot

The pump may have limited usefulness for other applications since it's only to be used intermittently.
I'm curious (and not bustin' yer chops!!!) ... how or where did you come by this information?

The more I think on it ... this little pump may have a number of uses. Any info you have might help find these poor little pumps a new and interesting life.

I can see the walls of my workshop gettin' sprayed with all manner of noxious liquids ... under some pressure ... all in attempts to advance the cause. rofl

oddshot

treeguy

I think Cranetruck is telling you this because this unit (untill you go fabricating some broke back truck hoist with it;-)) it is powered by a momentary switch and if you read the plate above the switch is says something about time holding it on (I think). So the unit was designed to be momentary. I don't know........... if you want to make a meat grinder out of it then try it out, whats the worst that will happen? You'll kill the pump and get all razzed on by folks here!:cookoo:

oddshot

........... if you want to make a meat grinder out of it then try it out, whats the worst that will happen? You'll kill the pump and get all razzed on by folks here!:cookoo:
Yep! :)

If I could paraphrase Robert Kennedy, "Others see things and ask why ... I dream of things and ask WTF!!!!!"

But this time might just be different.

Instead of brute force and guesswork ... maybe we'll use SCIENCE this time!!!

I know a guy that SWEARS TO GOD ... he knows something about pumps ... maybe I could enlist him in this nefarious scheme.

oddshot

kastein

If I want to do serious oil pumping I will be using the two ATF-rated pumps I pulled out of an old automatic transmission fluid changing machine my boss asked me to pitch in the dumpster in 2003. Yep, you guessed it, I ripped everything fun out of it (control boards, pumps, switches, nifty hydraulic fittings, etc) and then threw the gutted hulk in the dumpster rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks