• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Balancing 12 bolt wheels?

WARWAG

I happen to have the newer style 12 bolt wheels. There is an alignment hole used to center the rim halves together. Looks like the military wasn't big on getting these holes exactly centered. This will definitely throw off the balance of a tire if there not aligned correctly. Other than that how are my fellow 12 bolters balancing your tires? tape weights, standard weights or ceramic balls ect ect?

Last edited:

nyoffroad

On my big truck I use Counter Act balanceing beads available at truck stops. Works great on big tires I'd assume they'd work as good on smaller ones too.

Gripy

I ended up with buying centramatics. Huge difference, wheels may be slightly unbalanced but its not enough to cause trouble. The beads are nice but a pain when you're changing tires.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I happen to have the newer style 12 bolt wheels. There is an alignment hole used to center the rim halves together. Looks like the military wasn't big on getting these holes exactly centered. This will definitely throw off the balance of a tire if there not aligned correctly.
IMHO the 12-bolt wheel is a crappy design - compared to the later "D" and "E" 24-bolt styles. And even those still have a relatively high tolerance...
I have retrofitted mine with alignment dowel pins, two per wheel... (1st pic)
Then I convert the original runflat/beadlocks into beadlocks-only... (2nd pic) (->20lbs less rotating mass!)
Other than that how are my fellow 12 bolters balancing your tires? tape weights, standard weights or ceramic balls ect ect?
All my wheel/tire combos are externally (statically)balanced; see this post...
Best results so far.

G.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, no secret... LOL.
Basically you mount a wheel on a lathe (or equivalent), to center and hold the rubber part in place. Then turn it at 80-100rpm and use a razor-sharp, spoon-shaped HSS tool for cutting, on both sides, creating a good groove towards the center. Then use a sharp knife (+ kitchen soap as lube) to cut through the remaining 1" or so.
(Best results if rubber is cold = hard; like straight out of the freezer...)
Will see if I can shoot some better pics, next batch. Maybe start a new thread about it.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks