• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Barstow Ca.

kurtb

Does anybody have any tips on picking up a truck from the DRMO at Barstow Ca?
Will the GL folks there generally work with you? Anybody know the easiest route from their to Tucson Az.
How about getting across the scales into AZ?
Will I need a temporary permit to drive the truck out of California into AZ?
Commercial License?

EO2NMCB

You would need some type of trip permit to be legal along with Ins. Speaking as an OTR driver I would run I40 E to needles ca down us 95 to I 10 its longer that way, but not as bad of grades. Short route would be to run us 93 out of kingman to phx. then across. If you have never driven a large truck do not run I 17, it has some very long down grades and a few hard pulls.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck is a deuce or 5 ton you need a class B CDL to legally drive in CA...only if you happen to be stopped. The insurance and the day trip permits are no brainers.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I bought my 1008 there, the guy who runs it, don't know his name, was kind of a Dick....I have a DOD sticker on my truck, so I drove through the gate and right to the office. I saw some other guys waiting at the main gate. At about 7am, he was aleady there, the first words out of his mouth were "we don't open until 8", then he seemed upset that I went back and sat in the truck, and he made sure it was 8 before he talked to me any further.

My 2 cents....

area52

I drove my deuce I picked up in Hesperia last year and drove it back I40 with no problems at the weight stations.

FMJ - where are you in New Mexico?

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy who runs the GL facility at Barstow is Dave Skophammer, he's a good guy and was charged with a tough job, turning Barstow around. He's done a great job and is not done yet. There's much in the works for Barstow. Let's just say it will be getting very busy there next year.

Kurtb - I've brought plenty of equipment and general surplus out of CA to AZ. I've driven truck's and pulled trailers. I'll help you get it done. PM-sent.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
area52 said:
I drove my deuce I picked up in Hesperia last year and drove it back I40 with no problems at the weight stations.

FMJ - where are you in New Mexico?
Las Cruces

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks