• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery hook-up

4bogginchevys

is it ok to charge both batts by hooking a single 12v charger/jump box to the neg on batt 1 and the neg on batt 2(positive)...will it work to slowly jump start a truck if nato slave is not available......bad batt thread inspired this question and I need to know because I do not have slave/or another CUCV for jump starts...would be nice not to have to unhook batts if they went dead..Thanks:-D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that will charge your front battery. You do not need to disconnect the battery cables, to charge one battery at a time.

Westech

CPL
dog is correct.. it will charge the front battery but you still will not be able to start the truck. you do need 24V and the rear battery will not charge off the front in any way. Been there done that here on post with our company truck. you need to charge both batteries, Disconnect the cables and run jumpers to the rear battery and you can charge both. Just take them out of series and treat then both like stand alone batteries and they will charge. positive to positive and negative to negative.

4bogginchevys

thanks for the info guys, i'm still unclear on one thing.....if I dont unhook the two batteries from each other are you saying I can charge the rear batt still......like pos #2 and ground on #1...thats 24v, i'm not picking up what your throwin' down very well......:-D

emr

It is in alot of posts here, u need to look em up, I mean alot, But to help fast, Yes u can, u can put a 12 volt charger on each batt and leave em in and hooked up,of course if u gat 2 12 volt chargers.AND U can pull up 2 cars and use a set or jumpers from one car to one batt and repeat the other car to the other batt, If u only have one 12 volt charger and u want to charge both at the same time, U can pull them from the truck hook up one batt and use a jumper in parrallel and the 12 volt will charge both batts, but more slowly of course, Most people just make it more complicated than it is, OK I re read your last post, U can not hook up a 12 volt charger in series and charge 2 batts, U CAN charge one at a time with a 12 volt charger and leave em in the truck.U can purchase a 24 volt charger, Think about what u want, are U in this type of truck for the long hual, if so go buy what U need, the ultimate way is an on board charger desulphater they come in 12 and 24 volt chargers, I have 24 volt ones in my trucks I get 9 and counting years on some with proper maintenence, I am going to mount 4 12 volt desulphaters in my 925 when i get the funding and remove the single 24 volt, because it is the ulitimate , each batt is at the best it can be, If U do not have both of your batts fully charged and checked to see if they are holding the same voltage the lower one will always win and the better one will stay at the lower ones level and it will shorten there life, Many people blame the batts for failure, it is always 100 percent human error, not taking the time to understand the batts and how to maintain them, they must be cleaned and fully charged all the time for them to last...randy

3dubs

Been there done that. Leaving them connected would not charge bothe batteries for me. I can only say once again AAA. They can do 24V jumps. They hook a jump tp one battery and a jump box to the other. Many of the large RV's are 24V so AAA can do it. You can also use two cars. When jump starting you leave the cables connected; when charging disconnect them.

3dubs

I like Westech's changing the batteries from series to parallel. That is smart! I would never have thought of it.

topgun217

I'm totally new to the jump/charging the 24-v batt. system so this helped me alot. I should be getting my euc sometime in Feb. and when I pick the 1009 up I was wondering how to get her started short of taking along 2 new batts.

SPECIALTYLC

Yes you can charge each battery with a 12volt charger, but you must be sure to only connect to the battery posts on #2 battery . If you connect your charger or jump from another vehicle and connect to truck ground you will get 24 volt on the #2 battery. Also, if only one battery is discharged you can jump your truck if you connect to just that battery.

emr

I think i was misunderstood, I am stating one can charge a single batt with a single charger while they are still in the truck , and put a 12 volt charger on each batt while still in the truck, ... just like jump starting with 2 cars, one car to one batt and second car to second batt, same thing about what i am talking about...done that a few times also, its the same thing,

jimmy-90

A battery seperator comes in handy too sometimes. I got one because I got so dang tired of haveing to disconect and reconect the batteries every time there is a chargeing issue. If you get one of these make sure your hood will clear it before you slam it shut though lol.

Attachments

emr

We all had to learn sometime, this is a great site for these trucks, it is so time perfect and well done, and even with all the opinions, and ideas, we seem to do very well....All the best!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks