• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Be careful what you bid on

moreorles2

WARBIRD INSTRUMENT SELLER HIT WITH $6 MILLION EPA BILL
An Anaheim, California, pilot and owner of a business selling surplus instruments made from the 1940s through the 1980s has gotten a $6 million bill from the Environmental Protection Agency for cleanup of instruments using radium (once used to make them readable in the dark). Jeffrey Pearson, owner of Heritage Aero and Preservation Aviation, bought the inventory of an instrument sales business several years ago stocked with government surplus instruments, a small percentage of them containing radium, which was based in Hollywood, California. That site was closed and one of the rented buildings leveled starting in 2004 in an EPA cleanup project. On February 15, EPA's Region 9 office in San Francisco asked Pearson for $6 million for the Hollywood site and $107,600 for supervising still uncompleted county cleanup efforts at the company's storage site at the Chino airport. (The instruments are in containers that have not been shipped.) Although the letter demands Pearson send a copy of the check to enforcement officials, EPA has also evaluated his personal belongings, including a 1950 Cessna 190, and will determine how much of the $6 million he could fairly pay, an EPA official said.

hot rod deuce

This is kinda funny to me....I was talking with a large contractor we crush concete for from the twin cities area. he had a wearhouse full of old army stuff. He was telling me about 5 truckloads of gauges he had his guys take to the scrap iron yard. Shortly after being loaded on a train he got a call from the epa saying he had sold them radio active material. I guess uncle sam picked up the tab on that one.

carguy455

I have some of those gauges from planes and such...they register on the geiger counter, but not very high.....My grandmas old "Fiesta Ware" reads FAR higher, as does my dads old Timex from the 50's....

Think they are getting carried away or is there some significant danger ??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks