• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

beefing up the multi-fuel engine

lwizardl

I have been doing a few searches and not finding anything promising yet so maybe I am not using the proper terms to pull the good stuff :-D current have about fifteen tabs open in firefox all SS pages to read.

I was looking for an option to beef up the original engines that come in the M35a2 and the M109's. looking to try and get faster speeds for a current planned build.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can turn the fuel to it but you better know how to drive it......in a long hard pull you can melt it down. A pyrometer is recommended when warming one up.

You can go with taller tires but you'll lose some on the low end.

The multi-fuel is what it is......for what you would spend to wring a few more horses out of it you can buy a better engine.

You can't gold plate a turd.

lwizardl

The multi-fuel is what it is......for what you would spend to wring a few more horses out of it you can buy a better engine.

You can't gold plate a turd.
Yeah I know I just love the feature of using so many fuel options, I have been looking at the idea of just a diesel engine but looses one of the reasons I wanted the truck. I don't plan to try going crazy with it just looking for something a little more oomph

Sounds like you would do better searching "broke my motor" in the deuce forum.
Read that thread a few times, and lots of things to watch for

Loco_Hosa

Check out SewerZuk's thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...5511-all-stuff-i-did-my-deuce-right-here.html

He added a water methanol injection system to drop his turbo temp, and 395s to increase top speed. No matter what you do you will need a Pyro.

The basic issue you have is that you want to get more power out of a multifuel engine. To make power with a turbo you would usually decrease compression. However, in decreasing your compression on a Multi (Usually done simply by running a thicker head gasket, or some people have even run TWO head gaskets) you will loose its ability to burn multiple fuels.

Now, do me a HUGE favor. I recently lost brake pressure while driving because of a wheel cylinder. In the past I have done some scary stuff in the world of motorcycles and had some close calls, none of which were nearly as scary as loosing brakes in this 13,000lb cruise missile, and thank god I was in a parking lot. Before you so much as touch your engine, you NEED to pop open all six brake drums, thoroughly inspect them. If you can not say for certain that your brake lines and wheel cylinders have been replaced within the last 7 years, rip them out, replace them all.

This is not a joke, and its not your life to gamble. Before you make your truck faster, please be responsible.

/Rant

SOURCE: Lots of reading. My engine is stock.

Flyingvan911

The multifuel was made to move a big truck slowly over really tough ground. You can't do alot except for what's mentioned above. It is tough but not built for speed.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I add that the axles on the deuce seem to sprout leaks from the pinion seals if turned much faster than they were designed for.

I think the deuce is a great truck as it was designed, but for all the reasons mentioned (brakes, engine, axles) does not easily lend itself to "hopping up" like smaller trucks.

Rick

rorybellows

i believe these blocks are made out of pig iron. so thats your biggest hurdle. once you get past that, you can use anything you want. oh crankshaft too, i think. so if you get these two things squared away, youre golden. what folk tend to forget that only a few parts are actually engine specific. what i mean is things like pistons: get the right diameter, pin location, things like that you can simply go to keith black or however and get slugs. same for everything else.
but as wreckerman said, youre better off just going with something that already has a strong performance following. like the cummins 5.9 or the cornbinder engine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you driven one yet? You may want to try one out, before reinventing them.

When I read threads like this, this is what I think they sound like.

I just bought a surplus submarine, I think I can make it fly(like a 747). I'm going to find a submarine forum and post my idea.

sorry, just my thoughts

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was being serious. :wink:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Have you driven one yet? You may want to try one out, before reinventing them.

When I read threads like this, this is what I think they sound like.

I just bought a surplus submarine, I think I can make it fly(like a 747). I'm going to find a submarine forum and post my idea.

sorry, just my thoughts
WE had CARNACs pimped m1a1, now a sub, this site sure is expanding

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks