• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint. Time between coats?

oddshot

I'm painting Henry over this spring break and I'm using the Behr paint that everybody seems to be using.

I'm figuring that I'll put on 3 or maybe 4 coats ... going on the idea that many light coats are better then a couple heavy ones.

I'll be spraying the paint on.

Any idea how much time to wait between coats?

Also, any idea how long I should wait before I do some stenciling over the Behr paint?

oddshot

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
2 coats is all I have ever done. I usually put a coat on in the AM and a second 3 hours later, but if your living in the tropics who knows? I wait a week before stenciling, I am putting 20" stars on my M146 tomorrow,

Well I waited a week and the stars seem to be fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's ^^ good advice. Two medium coats is a great plenty. Essentially, you need to wait for the first coat to flash off. With water based paint, if it is dry to the touch, it is ready to recoat. In a humid environment, best if you can at least get it out of the rain. It is going to take longer to cure. As for painting stencils, are you going to use a rattle can or more water based paint?

tiny110

Banned
I painted my truck about a year ago. I put on 3 medium coats. It stays between 90 and 100 percent humidity all summer here. I'll put on a nother coat as soon as the. paint did not look wet anymore. I would put the truck in my eclosed shop at night and bring it out to set in the sun deering the day. It seemed like it took a bout 2 weeks for it to get hard. I also use rustoleum heavy rust primer and it worked very well. Im happy with it. I will be doing me next truck the same way.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, that's good to know. How long did you let the Rustoleum primer flash off before you applied the finish coats? Since we are for the most part using an oil based primer over the bare metal, then using water based finish coats, I wonder how much time is really needed between oil based primer and finish coats.

tiny110

Banned
The rustoleum rusty metal primer dries out really quick. I hand sanded the whole truck. It took me about 2 weeks. I just wanted to sand it a bit to help the paint stick to it. I would sand on it after as soon as an hour after priming it. I think it says something like an hour or 2 before painting over it. As humid as it is down here I would it least wait and give the truck 1 full good day sitting in the sun before painting it.

Scrounge41

My can of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer says 24 hours drying before recoat at 70 degrees and 50 percent humidity. I would not assume that that those instructions includes topcoating with a water based house paint. Others and myself on this topic have advocated waiting 3 days and up to a week or more for the primer to really cure well before applying a water based paint.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Others and myself on this topic have advocated waiting 3 days and up to a week or more for the primer to really cure well before applying a water based paint.
That makes sense to me as it seems like the Rusty Metal Primer uses a heavier thinner/solvent that takes some time to finish out gassing.

Would you say that after a week of curing the Rusty Metal Primer needs to be scuffed again to give the water based top coating enough tooth to adhere?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks