• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr paint tips and process

nick1998

I definitely read/skimmed the entire Behr thread and now I’m convinced to go for it. I have someone local who will spray with real carc for $1500 but I want to be able to touch up as needed and I like the idea of doing it myself.
Anyway I have a Humvee with camo carc, want to go all flat/satin black. Is it better to use my Wagner sprayer ($120 from HD) or I’ll happily buy a Harbor Freight auto sprayer and compressor. Just want some tips and tricks. Plan is to degrease and power wash Humvee, don’t really want to scotch brite pad it cause carc is so toxic.
I have brand new gel coated fiberglass X doors I’ll probably scotch brite pad and spray with primer.
How much should I water down?
Is there a new code for the right black?
Is everyone still using the same Behr Premium Plus Exterior?

87cr250r

That is the FS 595 color code. It's standardized so that any paint manufacturer can mix it. The trouble is going to be finding a paint counter clerk that knows this. If you buy Benjamin Moore paint, they can cross reference other brands. Tell them the brand is "US Government" and then they can mix directly from the FS 595 codes.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having painted 45+ units with Behr here's my input.
  • Behr Marquee Exterior Flat - don't cheap out, don't get anything other than flat if you're trying to keep it military
  • Do not cut with water
  • If you have major CARC chipping do a second coat. Follow Behr instructions for application, it's easy.
  • Steam clean intensely without solvents. If you need to degrease limit it to easy to rinse places.
  • Rustoleum primer as needed, don't go crazy with it. CARC is an excellent surface to paint directly to.
  • I'd recommend using a sprayer that feeds from a 5 gallon bucket. Magnum @ Home Cheapo or Horrid Freight's in house brand work fine and can be had for about $150. You'll get better coverage, less mess, save time, and most importantly you'll have smoother application of the paint.

2023-04-06 13.47.40.jpg

nick1998

• Behr Marquee Exterior Flat - don't cheap out, don't get anything other than flat if you're trying to keep it military
  • Do not cut with water
  • If you have major CARC chipping do a second coat. Follow Behr instructions for application, it's easy.
  • Steam clean intensely without solvents. If you need to degrease limit it to easy to rinse places.
  • Rustoleum primer as needed, don't go crazy with it. CARC is an excellent surface to paint directly to.
  • I'd recommend using a sprayer that feeds from a 5 gallon bucket. Magnum @ Home Cheapo or Horrid Freight's in house brand work fine and can be had for about $150. You'll get better coverage, less mess, save time, and most importantly you'll have smoother application of the paint.

View attachment 895754
If you don’t have major chipping do you only do one coat?
Also for brand new fiberglass doors do you do anything special?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don’t have major chipping do you only do one coat?
Also for brand new fiberglass doors do you do anything special?
I've not had chipping but the adhesion is only as good as the CARC beneath it. Fiberglass should be spray and forget. You can even layer it up on glass and peel it off in a sheet instead of taping and scraping.

nick1998

I've not had chipping but the adhesion is only as good as the CARC beneath it. Fiberglass should be spray and forget. You can even layer it up on glass and peel it off in a sheet instead of taping and scraping.
Sorry I meant if carc already has chipping, I thought you mentioned doing 2 coats then? If carc is good do you only do one sprayed coat?

87cr250r

I had chipping. I wiped the areas with phosphoric acid and let sit 24 hours. I primed with one coat of Awl Grip wash and Awl Grip 545 primer rollered. I scuffed the primer to remove orange peel and then applied one cost of topcoat house paint sprayed. You don't want too many coats. As it gets thicker it starts to look more amateur.

I can't vouch for the adhesion yet. I haven't abused the coating too much with washing. I have chipped a few areas and the house paint did chip off the primer but the primer stayed tightly adhered.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
  • Do not cut with water

View attachment 895754
Hey Fuzzy, do you have the mix code for the paint in this picture? I want to give my M934 a fresh coat.
I intend to rent a sprayer in stead of buying one. You can rent a professional grade unit for what you pay for a crappy one from China.

nick1998

Hey Fuzzy, do you have the mix code for the paint in this picture? I want to give my M934 a fresh coat.
I intend to rent a sprayer in stead of buying one. You can rent a professional grade unit for what you pay for a crappy one from China.
Shit good call man! I just checked can rent a professional one for $100 at Home Depot for a day.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Post 7. 686 Tan. It's a beautiful color.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Post 7. 686 Tan. It's a beautiful color.
I heard this too. Fuzzy, can you post a picture of the mix label on the can you used for the tan? It gives the colors and amount they us to achieve the color. It would really help me out… Thanks

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard this too. Fuzzy, can you post a picture of the mix label on the can you used for the tan? It gives the colors and amount they us to achieve the color. It would really help me out… Thanks
It's there on post 7 with the label for scanning. I made 3 gallons last week so the color code is still verified good. (y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks