• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bending a M38 frame

Misdemeanor

I had to figure out a way to bend my frame back from a twist it had. I found this method effective and thought it might help others out there with similar issues.

I drilled 1/2 holes into my floor and used 3/8" drop in anchors. I then screwed in 3/8 eye bolts. This was done on all four corners. I leveled the front frame rails and place the high rear side of my frame on a stand. with two opposing sides of the frame chained to the eyebolts I used a floor jack to force the frame rail up. I did this multiple times increasing the amount I raised it about 1" more until It relaxed into a level position.

2015-08-22 20.03.29.jpg

The frame appears to be straight and now sits on all four stands without rocking. It seems successful.

Attachments

Misdemeanor

Did you x the frame to make sure it is not a parallelogram?

Check the frame very carefully for cracks and other issues
I did check the x dimensions from the shock mounts and the shackle mounts. Both before and after had less than a 1/8" difference. The strange thing is the dimensions are off in way that would indicate the frame is off in opposite directions so even if I could tweak it I don't know what direction I would push it without making one of the measurements worse. At this point I am assuming the riveted mounts are most likely off by a cumulative amount of 1/8". I'm not sure if that is within spec but I do know I didn't make it worse or better.

Good question about cracks. I was concerned about that as well. It seems to me that all the stress was placed on the front crossmember welds. I think it would be difficult to crack the welds or the metal around the weld but I agree it is a concern. With that in mind I did a careful visual inspection. The frame is blasted with a light coat of primer so a stress crack should be visible. The welds are original and in areas a bit messy but they have held since 1952 so they must be strong.

I welcome any other suggestions on how to check the frame integrity.

Attachments

tommys2patrick

while one end is still chained down you and a friend might lift the other end. then twist is lightly back and forth. then lay it back down and see if it is still level. A frame should be able to stand a bit of twist in regular driving and still return to the correct shape. unless this is a parade vehicle. I would also do the "X" dimension test from frame corner to frame corner. Also try that level in a method parallel to the front and rear jack stands at several points along the frame length. you might have a dip in between the ends on one side or the other. my two cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks