• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Glow Plug Removal Tool?

gator6romeo

I am going to change out my glow plugs this week and read in a thread that using a glow plug removal tool will save you a lot of heartache. What tool do you guys use? I was thinking of buying the "GM GLOW PLUG EXTRACTOR / PULLER TOOL" by JJ and A Racing Products Inc. Any of you guys have experience with this one? Any words of wisdom I should know before I pull these plugs out? Thanks!

cucvrus

A 3/8" deep socket. I do have a Snap-On glow plug socket. It has a snap ring in the socket to hold the glow plug. But most times the glow plugs will come right out of the head. If you have swelled plugs let us know we can advise on that. Straight even pressure and they will come out most times. Why are you changing them. Are you having starting issues?

gator6romeo

Thanks for the info cucvrus. I just bought my M1008 a few weeks ago and am trying to get it ready to be something I can drive a few days a week or more. It has been sitting for a couple of years that I know of, so I have been going through and replacing things here and there and trying to head off any problems. In looking at the glow plugs, they look like they have been in there for a while so with winter coming I thought I'd replace them. I just got some Wellman 070's. Dog head mod was done, belts and hoses changed, rear main seal just replaced, and I discovered I need a new heater core today. It's been a labor of love so far, but my 12 year old son thinks this is the coolest truck in the world and I keep thinking of how awesome it will be to drive this old veteran through town with my son. It's been worth every effort. Just want to do it right... Sorry got off on a ramble!

UNIMOG-GUY

I haven't had to use the tool yet but I'd personally stay away from Wellman glow plugs (they tend to swell). I've had great luck with AC Delco 60G's. You will have to grind down the spade side of the plug to make the electrical connection work or change out the engine side connection to fit the wider spade connection.

Gripy

I haven't had to use the tool yet but I'd personally stay away from Wellman glow plugs (they tend to swell). I've had great luck with AC Delco 60G's. You will have to grind down the spade side of the plug to make the electrical connection work or change out the engine side connection to fit the wider spade connection.
This stay away from the swellmans. Also look into doing the resistor bypass for the glow plugs (I know rus doesn't like to do this, but look into it for your self). Don't forget to replace all of the fluids and filters (no tranny flush, just drop pan replace filter and fluid).

rustystud

Thanks for the info cucvrus. I just bought my M1008 a few weeks ago and am trying to get it ready to be something I can drive a few days a week or more. It has been sitting for a couple of years that I know of, so I have been going through and replacing things here and there and trying to head off any problems. In looking at the glow plugs, they look like they have been in there for a while so with winter coming I thought I'd replace them. I just got some Wellman 070's. Dog head mod was done, belts and hoses changed, rear main seal just replaced, and I discovered I need a new heater core today. It's been a labor of love so far, but my 12 year old son thinks this is the coolest truck in the world and I keep thinking of how awesome it will be to drive this old veteran through town with my son. It's been worth every effort. Just want to do it right... Sorry got off on a ramble!
My son who's 11 also loves to ride along with me in my M1035. I told him when he turns 18 that the truck will be his. Then the other day he told me to stop hauling the long pieces of wood in the bed as it was hurting the tailgate and he didn't want me wrecking his truck !

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son who's 11 also loves to ride along with me in my M1035. I told him when he turns 18 that the truck will be his. Then the other day he told me to stop hauling the long pieces of wood in the bed as it was hurting the tailgate and he didn't want me wrecking his truck !
LOL!! It makes a big difference all of a sudden when it is "their" truck!

cucvrus

If the plug is junk. I used a vise grips and a pry bar. Sometimes I had to remove the entire inner fender, lower steering column and delivery nozzle to get them out. I seen the tools but have had better luck the hard way.

gator6romeo

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I can't wait to get her going. Rustystud and royalflush55, I gave my son the option of replacing the interior in black or the red that the cucv's come with. He chose the red to keep it as original as possible! I was so proud, haha! Replacing the fuel filter is next.

Gripy

If you want to you can preemptively pull the fuel pressure sensor and fill in the hole with JB weld. The sensor is for the diagnostic system which no one uses any ways. The fuel filter base tends to leak from there eventually.

alltheway82nd

If you use a fork shaped tool to apply pressure under the threads of the glow plug..then use an air ratchet with deep well socket to spin it as you pry it out....that has worked for me in the past

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks