• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best method to remove the Steering Knuckle Arm from the Knuckle?

Jake59

Hi,

Am in the phase of fixing mechanical issues on my M1009.

Need to replace the Upper and Lower Ball Joints and thus also removed the 3 nuts holding the Steering Knuckle Arm to the Knuckle.
But the Steering Knuckle Arm is still rock solid attached to the Knuckle, despite beating and prying...

Any tricks how to loosen the Steering Knuckle Arm and unlocking these conical tapered adapters without destroying?

Cheers,
Jake

ssdvc

Ball Joint Tool and Pickle Fork, both available to rent (for free) at AutoZone. They are time and damage saveing tools.

cucvrus

You do NOT need to remove the steering arm to change ball joints. But removing that upper steering arm is a real task. I just removed a lift kit from an M1009 and it had a 4" lift arm on the knuckle. I beat on it with a brass hammer and a punch till I just gave up. I did remove another left knuckle from another parts M1009 axle. I did manage to get the 4" lift kit bracket from the knuckle. But long after I had the axle back in the M1009 rebuild. Good Luck. You must get the cones out of the hole. A lot of penetrating oil and tapping will get I done. But like I said you do NOOT need to remove it to replace the ball joints. I have a Mac ball joint press and can change them in about 30 minutes once they are off the axle housing. That was easy.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?173878-1986-CUCV-M1009-Decade-after-being-wrecked/page8

beltfedonly

If you will hit the arm from the side it will peel the cones out. Use a four pound hammer and hit it hard and you will see the cones loosen.

OLDCHEV4X4

Those steering arms are never fun. I use about a 8 lb sledge hammer and hammer down and up on the far end. Liberal applications of Kroil or PB Blaster. Repeat.
Once you see one start to loosen, i get a punch in the crack of the cone and try to turn it.
I saw one mechanic weld nuts to the studs and turn them out. I didn't like that method.
Good luck.

Jake59

Good morning,

Used some de-rust oil and a 5LBS hammer... eventually the cones came loose one after the other and with some more hitting hard the arm came off as well.
No real damage except for some hammering bruzes on the steering arm, but that thing is made to handle a lot more.

Need to clean all rust and will install with good coating of grease to prevent any new rusting together in future...

Ball joints cam out of knuckle surprisingly easy... now need to clean and de-rust it all and then reassembly can start.

Thanks to all for you advice, it really makes the difference!!

Cheers,
Jake

nyoffroad

Hmm, I know I'm old and don't remember some things buuuut I don't remember EVER having to remove the arm to change a ball joint! Just like I never removed the whole knuckle at the ball joints to remove the axle yet some people do.

OLDCHEV4X4

Hmm, I know I'm old and don't remember some things buuuut I don't remember EVER having to remove the arm to change a ball joint! Just like I never removed the whole knuckle at the ball joints to remove the axle yet some people do.
Yea i dont remove the arm either when doing ball joints. I think it might depend on what ball joint press you have. I use a old Kent Moore that was my granddads and it works fine with the arm on the knuckle.

Jake59

Hi,

Yes you ar correcct, it is not a must to remove the steering arm from the knuckle to replace the upper and lower ball joints.
It does make it easier however, as then I can use my hydraulic press... which I did not need nor use to remove the old ball joints as they came out surprisingly easy with a couple of aimed hits with a hammer.

But for reinstalling the new ball joints, I want to go carefully without damaging the new parts.

Jake

cucvrus

The ball joints should be pressed in and pressed out. Beating them out will distort the knuckle assembly. But do as you wish. I have used a big F clamp and a deep socket and used it on many ball joints before I bought the Snap-On ball joint C clamp press. But do as you wish. Beating them out sounds bad and unsafe.

Jake59

Thanks CUCVRUS,

I'll keep that in mind.
As mentioned, did not have to go hard to remove the old ball joints and still need to clean the knuckle up before I can install the new ball joints, which I will wisely press in.

Thanks,
Jake

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks