• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best oil for older M37?

dcbrown

I live in a fairly mild climate. The extremes run between teens in the winter, to upper 90s in the summer. I have the original motor in my 1953 M37. I'm wondering what oil is the best for these engines? I've had lots of folks tell me not to use synthetic too. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Chris

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been working on this myself. It seems the newer oils have lower zinc content.
This presents a problem for solid lifters. valvoline makes a high zinc oil just for old engines. I've sen it at the hotrod shop here in town. So far we have been using straight 30 castrol. with no probelms.

pwrwagonfire

At work we use only SAE 30 in our power wagons, and I do the same with my M37. The only problem is if you are planning on using them during the colder months, the straight 30 weight could turn to sludge if it gets to cold...ours sit all winter so it works fine.

In my M37 this past winter, I used 15W40 because of the cold temps...what I've always been taught is that synthetic oils will clean the sludge and gunk out of the oil lines...which is probably not a good idea on a 50 year old truck- unless you wanna leave a trail behind you! :grin:

m376x6

Even though it is made primarilly for diesel applications, I've used 15-40 for years in gas engines and have never had a problem. The M37 230 flat heads are low compression engines. I doubt you'll ever run it hard or long enough to ever have any neglible effect with today's lower zinc oils. Just to help, when you start running todays detergent oils keep an eye on the oil, if it goes to being dirty pretty quick , change the oil and filter often. These trucks use a bypass filter and that makes it especially important to keep oil clean if you've just started using the truck.

68t

We use the 15 40 rotella in the m37. Also in my halftracks and ww2 5 ton. We got the travel vietnam display this week end, so got to get the mv ready for display. what up in your town for labor day.

emr

Look in wall mart, and if u want the best oil for the buck get the mobil one for high mile and older engines, it is a low and high number u want, the high number is good for engines that are made like the ol dodge, a little looser, as oil is really a simple thing, the 5/30 ranges are for new very tight motors, (and colder climates extremely cold)as the tighter tolerances will not allow a thicker oil to lubricate those tight tolerances during start up mostly and rob that engine at a critical time, the more worn an engine is the more u want a heavier oil , it will stay in the motor longer and help lube those worn areas . it is hard to make a decision today because they market to such an exact audience, but the real basic rule is simple, all oil mixes oh yes it does, and any i mean any oil is better than no oil, to get home. and as for the military using straight 30, remember that is for such a wide range of climates it was a good idea, now with the 15/ 40 this oil does a wider range of things and is just up to date, any oil is good if U service it and keep it clean, if U really hammer your vehicle u need the better mobil one types, or a heavier oil, the "W " stands for "winter, meaning a cold climate, so the low number is what the oil will change to by itself when it is cold to lube those places a thicker oil would not, and when warmed up the change over to a thicker state occurs. now for more info, a detergent oil is for motors with a filter. the detergent cleans and breaks up deposits and sends em to the filter, a motor with out a filter compressor etc,. u want to not use a detergent the crud is better to stay where it is. it also is recommended to have more frequent oil changes with a non detergent, also if U want to clean a non filter u can run detergent and change while still warm to clean her up a bit, oil is simple, read the labels write down some questions and call the 800 numbers on the can, i have been for over 30 years, when i offer advise on stuff like this it is from years of techs saying the same stuff from year after year and different product techs agreeing, thats when U get the best answers, never ask just one guy and think u have the answer, :) good luck....OH the rottella 15/40 will serve u well for longer than u will be around, it is a quality product, and all around just a great choice...also...

Last edited:

dburd72

If you want an easy to get zinc additive go to any GM dealer and buy a bottle of engine assy. lube woks great to keep flat tappet cams alive and its cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks