• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best passenger mirror location

Glider

I've seen passenger mirrors adjusted so theybcan be viewed through pass window and also looking through windshield what works best? I have 4 man soft top. The door hits mirror all the time. Anyone with experience adjusting so it can be seen through windshield?

Action

I see mine thru the windshield. Door does not hit. I am not telling you to look in the TM, but it gives measurements on exactly how to place the arm. I think in the -10. My pc is down for a while, so i cant look it up.
If the driver can see the mirror thru door window, it probably gets hit by the door. Unless the mirror is attached to a hard door. Then it would move with the door but be custom.

Reactions: 98G

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
IMO... The whole mirror lash up is suckie. Big fat mirrors off the A pillar angled waaay forward, viewed thur the windshield as one peeks thru / around to see.

That's the common fit-up and one need to LOOK TWICE when making any maneuver. HUGE blind spots and with flat glass windshield... night driving is a trip on cheap beer or LSD.

Some lower them down on A pillar making looking over the "billboard"mirrors a little easier. Then some go with a civilian style (H1 ?) mounted on the doors. Makes more sense. Not sure on soft doors. X door flexing, bouncing around ? need a good slam (sometimes) so may need adjusting time to time, getting in and out. This work but looks a little funky IMO.

Adjust the door stops catch / stops before wacking mirrors.

Can't stress enough.....HumV is a BIG FAT truck. Takes a while to get used to driving AND be DOUBLE-LY careful. Easy to hide a semi truck in the blind spots... pedestrian or kid on a bike, TOO easy. No rear center mirror either, in most cases.

Watch out for looky loo's and pointers. They will see you before you see them... and try to follow too close. HI FIVE"S are great... then get off my butt. I've got a truck to drive... on a mission. LOL

Head on a swivel at ALL times, CAMO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weather? Winds here blow too liberal.

“Don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.... can’t use the fountain ‘cause the vandals stole the handles”.

M1165A1

My general unhappiness with the passenger mirror situation is why I'm working on a full time 4 camera system install (front so I can see below the hood, left and right front side for driving, and rear for backup).

Glider

I now have tried both positions. For now thru the pass window is better. I still have in the 10:00 position and am still trying to get used to it however. I'm thinking when winter comes I'll like thru windshield better when the window is zipped up. I've been all windows down and rear panel rolled up for past 2 months. I'm really enjoying driving and working on it. I thinking about getting a billet aluminum rear view mirror but don't want to stray too far from stock. The only non stock item currently is passenger seat that I plan on replacing after I get a couple other projects completed.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I now have tried both positions. For now thru the pass window is better. I still have in the 10:00 position and am still trying to get used to it however. I'm thinking when winter comes I'll like thru windshield better when the window is zipped up. I've been all windows down and rear panel rolled up for past 2 months. I'm really enjoying driving and working on it. I thinking about getting a billet aluminum rear view mirror but don't want to stray too far from stock. The only non stock item currently is passenger seat that I plan on replacing after I get a couple other projects completed.
I understand your desire to have "stock mirrors" but safety is pretty important. In the big sandbox, you could scuff a fender. Not good, but not terrible. On the other hand - here in the civilian world - when you flatten a Prius as you change lanes - that might cost you big money. Assuming nobody gets hurt it only hurts your pride and your wallet.

Maybe you could have some sort of clip on mirror.
Good for safety and not on the truck if you want to maintain stock configuration.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My passenger mirror remains in the same position winter or summer. It is viewed through the windshield, and angled so that the bottom inside corner of the lower portion sees a little bit of truck.

This provides the smallest volume of blind spot in which idiots can hide.

My doors are off. Rear curtain is rolled up.

Awareness of vehicles approaching from behind is more critical in these things than it is in a normal vehicle. Changing lanes from the left to the right at 75mph in a 75mph in a normal pickup truck has less chance of someone trying to pass you on the right than it does in a hmmwv attempting the same maneuver at 55mph in a 75....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks