• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best place for brass fittings? (specifically 45 degree fuel inlet elbow for HH?)

TexAndy

So I took the hydraulic head off an M35a2 I got at auction awhile back. HH was stuck, so I took it apart and cleaned it. The fuel inlet fitting was in there so tight, I deformed it getting it off...

The only thing I could find to replace it was a 45 degree 1/4 male NPT to 1/4 female NPT adapter and then a 1/4 NPT to 3/8 compression adapter. Which SORT of works, but is so big/long that there's not enough room to really get a wrench on it to tighten it down sufficiently. It leaks and loses prime if shut down even for 10 minutes.

Picture for reference

57194606_1256111147888849_6471655196899409920_n.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does it leak?

Did you use an insert in the line in the compression fitting?

TexAndy

It appears to be leaking from around the NPT threads (threaded into the HH body).

Yes, I used the brass insert in the line in the compression fitting. Both the insert that goes inside the tube and the brass sleeve.

The closest thing I've been able to find is 50385K32 from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/50385k32

But it says it's for copper tubing... not for the plastic fuel line that's on the truck. Do you think it would work anyways? This one uses a rubber (buna-N) sleeve.

TexAndy

Or is this as simple as taking the HH off the truck again completely, clamp the new fitting in a vise and turn the hydraulic head onto it with the power of Thor?

TexAndy

Well, that fitting from McMaster-Carr worked. If anyone needs a replacement fuel inlet elbow, I'd recommend that one. It was $22, which is really pricey for a single brass fitting.

I put a single turn of fuel-grade teflon tape around the pipe threads and ran it in as far as I could with a 9/16 wrench. It was about 180 degrees off where it needed to be, so I carefully got it the rest of the way with a cheater pipe.

Doesn't always have to be brass. I've replaced some fuel lines to the supply pump using SS braided hose with aluminum AN fittings. Works as good as brass. There's a company called EARLs that sells alot of this stuff, or you can buy an assortment through JEGS and SUMMIT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks