• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to remove silicon sealant

OD_Coyote

I just picked up a M35A2C and there is silicon sealant on the joints between the hardtop and the cab over the CARC. What is the best way to remove the silicon sealant? The rear cab window is also stuck closed because they applied silicon sealant around it too.

Thank you!

bigelk50

Good luck OD! They make some actual removers for silicon, like they do for gaskets and etc. I do not know what would do it without hurting the paint.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have a mess. We wear uniforms at work and the uniform company washes them in some sort of industrial process. They can remove grease, ink, and paint but if you wipe silicon off your finger onto your pants that stuff will still be there when the pants wear out. It's some tough stuff.

I usually remove it with a scraper or wire wheel on a grinder. I havn't tried any of the chemical removers but I don't think the paint will survive whatever you use if it's stuck very good.

waayfast

Chris, go to your local autobody paint and supplies store and get a decal/pinstripe removing tool. It looks like a small ginder wheel you chuck up in your drill BUT it is made of hard rubber. (think powered eraser). I have had okay results on standard "normal" paint but have not tried it on flat/OD/camo types of paint---your mileage may differ-----
Jim

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having seen what silicone sealer looks like exposed to gasoline (liquid) for a while, I would agree. First it swells up (a lot), then it will shrink again when the gas is removed and it can air out. That tends to break the bond it has with metal and painted surfaces.

Another club member had a Mule that quit on him. When we opened up the tank, we found out trhe previous owner had used silicone to make the 'gasket', which swole up and a piece got into the fuel line (in tank filter was off), starving the engine. YMMV

OD_Coyote

Thanks for all the replies. I have one of the decal removing tools, so I will try that first.
If that does not cut it, I will try the gasoline or gasket remover method.

Last edited:

OD_Coyote

I will get some close ups of the NW Edition M35A2C, but it wont be until this weekend. The silicon was part of the optional "NW Edition package" to keep the inside of the cab dry due to the above average rainfall we recieve in this area. I don't know what happened to the latte cup holders, but I am thinking bigelk50 took them from my truck and put them on his truck when I wasnt looking.:-D:-D:-D:-D

bigelk50

Ha so funny Chris You need to see this pic!!I did steal them. If you look closely where the tray is you can see what looks loks a loop. If you push on it two Latte holders swing out!

Attachments

OD_Coyote

Hey Reub - That is cool. Can you provide more info on the "NW Edition Package" latte holder you have pictured above? Is that the one that came out of my truck?:-D:-D:-D
Thanks for sharing the pic!!!!!

bigelk50

Yeah I will try to get more pics up. I will post what I have though. The sun was not helping when I took those. We made our own console and put is a different seats. Bucket seats with the spring bases on both sides. we put a small jump seat in the middle to give the dog a place to ride. The middle jump seat folds up and out of the way! I did not think you would notice them missing!!;-)

lavarok

I wish they had used some sort of sealant on my M35A2's hard top. Decent top with a decent gasket, but the install was crap. The gasket allowed water to sit on top of it and ultimately start rusting the lip. No other rust, except where water clearly sat up on the gasket. While poking around, literally, I made a nice sized hole in the back of my hard top.

Anyone have some before and after photos of a restored hard top to inspire me?

I was in Home Depot tonight buying some paint remover and saw this product.
I have no direct experience with it. The info on it looks pretty good.
http://liftoffinc.com/product-sealant-remover.php
Lift off.jpg
FSR Sealant Remover

This water–based product removes wet or dry silicones, latex based caulks, polyurethane foams and glues, expansion foams, construction adhesives and acrylic latex caulks. The new and safe technology works to remove both fresh and cured sealants from tools, hands, hard surfaces, flooring, fabric, carpet, ceramic, stone, wood, plastic, metal, vinyl and more!
Features and Benefits

Silicone, Latex Caulk & Foam Sealant Remover
Green Cross Certified
Low–VOC
Water–Based
Biodegradable
Safe for the Environment & User
Works On:

Wet or Dry Latex–Based Foams • Silicones • Foam Sealants • Caulk • Polyurethane Foams & Glues • Expansion Foams • Acrylic Latex Caulks • Construction Adhesives & More!
Safe On:

Hands • Tools • Fiberglass • Hard Surface • Flooring • Fabrics • Carpet • Ceramic • Stone • Wood • Plastic • Metal • Vinyl • Foam Application Equipment & More!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks