• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackout Lights wiring

cucvegas

Could someone tell me if it matters which wires are connected on the rear black-out lights?

There is a two-wire harness on the vehicle (green and black), and there are two wires on the black-out light. One of the wires on the blackout light has metal clips with the part number. Does it matter which wire connects or does it just complete a circuit either way?

Also, is the third wire (not in a harness) the ground that screws to the threaded post on the back of the light?

Thanks!

Attachments

cucvrus

The lights you have with the black wires and metal tags are not original GM lights. They will work. The back ones have 3 red LED slits as park lamps and you must also note in the center is a single yellow slit that is a B/O stop/ Brake light. The 3 wires to each rear corner will be a semi ridged black wire for a ground on each lamp. Ground to the mounting stud with a star washer. Then you must probe and discover which wire is the B/O park and which is the B/O brake / stop wire. Wire them accordingly. The front lamps will have 2 wires and 2 yellow LED slits will illuminate and you have a semi ridged black ground to the mounting stud and a park light wire to the center single wire on the back of the lamp. I hope that helps. Good Luck and Be Safe. The original GM B/O lamps were discontinued early on. I know by 1995 the were out of stock at the dealer.

cucvegas

The lights you have with the black wires and metal tags are not original GM lights. They will work. The back ones have 3 red LED slits as park lamps and you must also note in the center is a single yellow slit that is a B/O stop/ Brake light. The 3 wires to each rear corner will be a semi ridged black wire for a ground on each lamp. Ground to the mounting stud with a star washer. Then you must probe and discover which wire is the B/O park and which is the B/O brake / stop wire. Wire them accordingly. The front lamps will have 2 wires and 2 yellow LED slits will illuminate and you have a semi ridged black ground to the mounting stud and a park light wire to the center single wire on the back of the lamp. I hope that helps. Good Luck and Be Safe. The original GM B/O lamps were discontinued early on. I know by 1995 the were out of stock at the dealer.
Thanks. Got it wired up. Front work great.

do the rear lights change from single yellow to four red lights? Hitting the brake did not light up the red lights. Should only the yellow be lit when you turn on the blackout lights?

If I switch the wires, the red would light up instead.

Since I didn’t have the wire harnesses, I just wired them with connectors to be able to swap them if needed.

thanks again!

cucvrus

The 4 red LED slits should light on B/O. The yellow single slit should also light when the brakes are applied and the switch is in B/O position. You may have the wires reversed. Check back and report. Good Luck. Be Safe.

cucvegas

The 4 red LED slits should light on B/O. The yellow single slit should also light when the brakes are applied and the switch is in B/O position. You may have the wires reversed. Check back and report. Good Luck. Be Safe.
Switched the wires. Now the rear four red LED’s turn on when you turn on the black out switch. However, the yellow middle one does not turn on when you press the brake pedal.

It seems like the single yellow marker should come in when you turn on the switch, and the red should come on when you hit the brakes. But when it was wired the other way, the yellow would come on with the B/O switch, and nothing happened when you hit the brakes.

I‘m actually thrilled to have anything light up when I flip the B/O light switches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks