• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed deuce and the rear axle hop.

ShaggyTheGreat

Hello all, I am sure if you are the owner of a bobbed deuce you have experienced the awful rear end hop if you start slipping on a hill. I myself had the idea get some custom made that were softer and use airbags if you need to haul a heavy load, any ideas on where/what cost might be to have these fabricated custom for a deuce? Does anyone know if there are any leaf sets that would fit and be softer than the ones present?

• :driver:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the hop caused by the wind-up of the springs. I would try fitting some torque arms. Even heavy trailers have a type of them, so they don't start bouncing/hopping, in sever brake applications. Keep the axles on the ground, and performance is enhanced.

oddshot

Interesting. I bobbed mine quite some time ago and I have never had any problems with axle hop. When I built/installed the rear suspension I used all the leaves from the M-105 springs plus a couple I took off the Deuce. I've never had any need to add traction bars, but then, I've never taken my truck off road.

BTW, MGB were notorious for rear axle wind-up and wheel hop under acceleration. When I was racing these cars, I cured the problem just by adding one extra leaf to each side. The modification was simple, cheap and effective.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks