• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolt in a Tire on my M1088 / LMTV

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, I am smart enough to not just yank the bolt out... On the other hand, it might be a short bolt that hasn't punctured the inner core of the tire - and the more I move the truck around - the worse it might get.

This CTIS plumbing is new to me. Not so sure I want to call a tire repair shop that might not know how to work on a CTIS rim - and have them end up breaking something that isn't broken...

I have a spare. Could swap it out and take the tire somewhere. OR, maybe I could be lazy and have a professional do the job. Just soliciting opinions here. Can / Should it be patched on the inside if the bolt went through? Plugs? Are they appropriate?

Forward rear axle on the driver's side. Picture below:

M1088 BoltInTire.jpg

snowtrac nome

So, I am smart enough to not just yank the bolt out... On the other hand, it might be a short bolt that hasn't punctured the inner core of the tire - and the more I move the truck around - the worse it might get.

This CTIS plumbing is new to me. Not so sure I want to call a tire repair shop that might not know how to work on a CTIS rim - and have them end up breaking something that isn't broken...

I have a spare. Could swap it out and take the tire somewhere. OR, maybe I could be lazy and have a professional do the job. Just soliciting opinions here. Can / Should it be patched on the inside if the bolt went through? Plugs? Are they appropriate?

Forward rear axle on the driver's side. Picture below:

View attachment 812427
if it is a leaker get a safety seal plug kit i got mine from amazon you will want the truck plugs. I had the same thing in my rear took 5 minutes to do a nice permanent repair. The safety seal brand plugs stick and seal like nothing else right now i have 4 in my sidewall as a badar repair waiting for the rain to stop so i can change it out and stay dry.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
if it is a leaker get a safety seal plug kit i got mine from amazon you will want the truck plugs. I had the same thing in my rear took 5 minutes to do a nice permanent repair. The safety seal brand plugs stick and seal like nothing else right now i have 4 in my sidewall as a badar repair waiting for the rain to stop so i can change it out and stay dry.

Sitting as it is right now, using Dawn in a spray bottle - I get no bubbles. CTIS stabilizes and the red light stops blinking when my air tanks fill up. I have an air leak of some sort that seems to be dead center under the cab. I hear it hissing when I turn the truck off...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Replace that ancient Michelin!!
I have 6 more just like it... Five on the ground and a spare. All in about the same condition. Tread doesn't seem half bad... It made the trip up from Sarasota Florida and road as smoothly as a 1088 and empty trailer could be. I was hoping to get another year or so out of them? Should I be looking at date codes? Like the "sell before" date on a loaf of bread?

snowtrac nome

i would s
Sitting as it is right now, using Dawn in a spray bottle - I get no bubbles. CTIS stabilizes and the red light stops blinking when my air tanks fill up. I have an air leak of some sort that seems to be dead center under the cab. I hear it hissing when I turn the truck off...
till have a plug kit handy before pulling the screw out some times they seal up pretty well. i would not drive it the way it is i picked up a nail on a job site once i didnt know it was leaking and wasnt in run flat i had a side wall blow out 45 minutes later. it may not be leaking now but t can start at any time.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
i would s

till have a plug kit handy before pulling the screw out some times they seal up pretty well. i would not drive it the way it is i picked up a nail on a job site once i didnt know it was leaking and wasnt in run flat i had a side wall blow out 45 minutes later. it may not be leaking now but t can start at any time.
Thanks snowtrac nome!

I figure a plug kit in the truck after making the attempt would be money well spent. As a teenager, I worked weekends in a tire store. I learned the concept of following the hole if there is one - rather than being a DA and punching a new hole in the tire cramming a plug in "any old way". That is how belts slip and big knots pop up on repaired tires...

THANKS for the advise!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would be amazed if that is not through the belts.
I see a patch in your future. Maybe your spare is a better and can swap around after repair.

Thanks juanprado. My spare has about the same tread life as what I have on the ground now. I thought the tires looked pretty good. Not new by any means - but decent. No dry rot. No cracks. I guess a spare in the rack with a plug is better (safer) than a plugged tire on the road...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Turned out that the bolt was through and into the tire, but a "MonkeyGrip" plug has been holding steady for about two weeks now...

NEW QUESTION:

Spare Tire sitting in the rack. CTIS connection is just hanging there because there isn't a connection for it... My spare is FLAT. Should it hold air when sitting in the spare rack? Logic says a flat being replaced by a flat wouldn't be very attractive. I mean I know that Central Tire should inflate it - but is that right?

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no reason for it to be flat in the rack. But no reason for it to be
aired up either. Air it up in place and see if it holds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks