• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolt Pattern Question

Bocephus

I'm looking at putting different wheels and tires on my Humvee.

I know the bolt pattern is 8x6.5. Does anybody happen to know what year of civilian Chevy Trucks that correlates to? I feel like I see stuff in the mid 80's with that pattern, and also some stuff in the early 2000's....

Knowing this will greatly help my search.

Also, if somebody happens to have an aftermarket set of wheels sitting on some boggers, other super swampers, etc.. for sale, I'd be interested in buying them.

Thanks.

Sintorion

The 8 on 6.5 is a very common bolt circle. You can find many wheels with the same pattern the challenge with putting them on a hmmwv is the offset. the hmmwv has a very high positive offset meaning that the face of the wheel is near the outer edge of the rim. It is something like 50mm positive on a 9" wheel compared to the current stock chevys at 12mm or so or some of the older negative offset wheels (commonly referred to as 'deep dish'). The closer to zero or negative you go the more they will stick out and likely rub without a lift.

The other concern maybe to a lesser degree is the load capacity of the wheels. Most cast after market wheels will rate at 2500 lbs compared to the 4500 lbs rated forged wheels that you really need for the hmmwv's load capacity. I say lesser degree, because that 2500 lbs wheel could very well rate at a higher load, they just stop testing them when they get the mark they need.

Bocephus

Thanks for the info Sintorin.... I wondered about the backspacing. Guess I will just have to mess around with it, maybe trim up the hood if needed.....

Action - I have no idea what your post is saying, haha. sorry.

Sintorion

It won't be just the hood. It will likely hit on the wheel well also. The problem is with the increased offset the wheels swing in a larger arc so you could have a substantial amount of cutting unless you go higher. A body lift would give you some space, but they are ugly. My hope is that with more of these being sold that the wheel manufacturers will see the market and start offering something with the correct offset that isn't the crazy price of the Cepek or Hutchinson wheels that seem to be the only ones available now.

What could be an option and not really sure if they are targeting the h1/Humvee market to get around the load capacity are these wheels - http://www.motometalwheels.com/wheelSpecs/4520/2261/20344/mo970 Looks like they offer a 17x8 blank with a 50 offset. I have no idea what vehicle would need that besides one of these. You would have to take them to a machine shop to get the lugs and center hole milled, but would still be substantially cheaper than the other options.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Yea I was thinking more about that after I typed it....... Guess I will just have to mess around with it and see what I come up with, and how much it actually rubs. Not sure lifting it is the route I want to go either though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks