• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Fluid DOT 3 and DOT 5

Hello. I have a 1977 M882 Dodge and I have what might be considered an obvious question. Long story shortened down considerably, I had my brakes repaired by a local Dodge dealer. I didn't have the equipment and the tools to make a proper job of it if I had attempted to do it myself. The truck now stops OK but I am concerned on one point and that is I don't know for sure what type of brake fluid the shop used. Was it DOT 3 which is the usual stuff everybody has in their cars' brakes, or was it DOT 5 which is what the military had specified? I know I had mentioned it to the service writer at the time the shop took on the job but I don't know which flavor they used to accomplish the job. Is there a way one can tell?

I have learned in my reading in the car hobby that DOT 5 is a fluid that doesn't attract moisture as much as DOT 3 and is a better fluid to use if the vehicle is subject to long term storage (which is probably why the military specified it) It is my understanding too that one shouldn't mix DOT 3 and 5 fluids although I'm not sure what would happen if you did. I have been told that the brake system in my Dodge will work fine with either DOT 3 or DOT 5 fluid but it has to be one of the other.

Yes, I have heard that DOT 5 is more expensive.

So, if I need to top up my master cylinder at some future date is there a way to tell what fluid is already in there so I don't mix fluids? Suggestions?

Flyingvan911

My first instinct would be that they used DOT 3 since that's what the put in every car that comes into the shop. Unless you told them it takes DOT 5.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jeez, give the service tech the benefit of doubt.
Your truck have those yellow stickers on it that say Use Silicone fluid only?
He may have noticed.
What was written on the repair bill?
Could simply stop in and ask the service guy.

Thank you all for your replies; especially Porkies Place. My truck still has the yellow sticker under the hood that says it is supposed to take silicone brake fluid only so it is possible the tech noticed it. I did say something about it to the service writer too, but there was nothing on the work order to indicate what kind of brake fluid was actually used in the repair. I will have to stop by the shop and ask what was used I suppose to be sure.

Gunzy

If it has been mixed just empty the system and flush with DOT3 then thoroughly bleed the system with DOT3 and stay with it. Would cost less than do it all with DOT5. JMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks