• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brakes fluid

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Factory was silicone. Has it ever been in civilian hands other than yours? If you can extract a small amount of what you have, mix it with water. If it mixes it's DOT 3, if it won't mix, it's DOT5.

REO 54

brakes

Yes,well sort of.I purchased the deuce from a county fire Dept.It has just about 10k on it.Well cared for .I was lucky on the purchase.I will try the water test and go from there.Thank you for tip Boss!

stumps

DOT 5 has a purple dye in it, but as it happens, the purple dye is soluble in water. Water will steal the purple color away from DOT 5, leaving the DOT 5 yellow, and the water purple.

I have a little jar that contains 50-50 DOT 3 and DOT 5. Periodically I give the jar a mighty shaking, but within a couple of minutes, the fluids have once again fully separated.

-Chuck

REO 54

After about an 1hr or so it seems to have emulsified.There is definately no clear seperation.The fluid out of the MC was of a light golden color.It also "felt" like Dot3 on the skin.So now I'm thinkin' Dot 3.Thank you-all for your input

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, DOT 3 has a unique feel. I'd have to agree and the fact that it was FD maintained even more so DOT 3

stumps

DOT 5 will de-emulsify from water after a vigorous shaking about as quickly as an oil and vinegar salad dressing.

-Chuck

stumps

One thing, if you are planning to convert over to DOT5, and I think you should, you will be best served by rebuilding all of the brake hydraulics first. DOT3 is heavier than DOT5, and is very hard to get out of the low points in the system, such as the bottom half of the brake cylinders. Spruce MT surplus is a great place to get DOT5 by the gallon. His price per gallon is way less than NAPA.

-Chuck

DieselBob

Spruce MT surplus is a great place to get DOT5 by the gallon. His price per gallon is way less than NAPA.

-Chuck
Spruce Mtn shows out of the silicone BF. I knew I should have ordered some last month. I could use a gallon or so for my system rebuild I need to do sense I had a front wheel cylinder go bad the other week.

REO 54

Converting to Dot5 is something that I am considering for a future project,since It's pretty involved.Right now I'm making sure I'm safe with what I have for are local 4th of July parade.So far so good.Found a suspect front brake line,changed it.Next,service the air pack.

Westex

I converted to DOT5 purple, but then again I don't know what exactly was in the system to begin with. I did the water mixing test and frankly, just could not figure out what was in there. So, being the overkill mindset, just bought LOTS of DOT5 silicone and went at it, flushing and then re bleeding, until I had nothing but purple stuff coming out. Haven't had a problem since; this about 9 months ago.

REO 54

I read on the product lable that your supposed to change all the seals as well when converting from 3 to 5.You probably had Dot5 to start with,otherwise you'd know about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks