• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brass bushing question

DUUANE

Hres a thought. In vehicles whith brass/bronze suspension bushings we should probably be looking for a grease without the ep additives..with all the talk about gear oil with ep not being friendly to yellow metal it got me thinking..a friend of mine has been going through bushings like crazy in his m37's..maybe this is a contributing factor?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what i have read the EP additives only become an issue for higher temperatures, like 300 deg F. Not an issue for suspension components. I would want to use EP grease, not avoid it.

DUUANE

Ok thats interesting..heat activated chemical attack..i will definately see what i can find to read when i have time.
Thanks for chipping in.

DUUANE

More reading suggests that sulphur ep additives attack copper in the alloy creating copper sulphide and under ep conditions create copper disuphide which is very hard and acts as an abrasive accellerating wear (and heat i would immagine). Heat compounds the reaction doubling the rate for every 10° temp increase.
We do long trips on logging roads and some decently hard wheeling. The suspension definately gets a workout. Moly disulfide is a good thing..but i will have to look into the other additives more i think.
For sure this is a crittical issue for gearboxes..bushings would be a much slower failure..something that fails in 3 or four years vs ten or more.
Steel on steel is a different ballgame.

DUUANE

I spoke to my grease rep..ive been using a product called super metalium for more than a decade..he said it didnt contain anything that would hurt yellow metals..my buddy has been using a regular moly ep grease..
So thats the bottom of the bag so to speak. I was using their non moly product and wasnt aware they had one..so i will be switching..
Happy PM..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks