• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Oil Pan bolt on M1009

alburms311

Hello all. So, I got home early today and decided I would tackle the leaking oil pan gasket. Simple enough yeah? The first bolt I attempt to take off, I have my ratchet turned the wrong way, so instead of loosening, I tighten, and guess what, I snap the head off... I proceed to take the other 1000 bolts off, remove the pan, go to the parts store and buy a pack of 10mm bolts to replace my broken one, stop by the local hardware store and buy a small easy out, a longer 1/4in extension, and some choice beverages. Now I'm back on my favorite site, and preparing to destroy my choice beverages. I have been unable to drill a hole in the broken bolt, probably due to not being able to get good enough leverage on the bolt. I'm thinking I may need to go looking for a compact drill tomorrow, but I don't know. I do know my beloved M1009 is sitting in the driveway with its oil pan off, and I'm sure she doesn't like it, I know I don't. Any tips, tricks, or pointers on getting this bolt out would be appreciated! See below for pic of the broken bolt(worst possible place, front passenger side)and what I'm working with.
image.jpg image.jpg

bikerted86

Should be relatively easy to get out since it was tightened till it broke instead of breaking while removing, Irwin used to sell reverse drill bits and easy out sets. Stuff like that I have had the reverse drill bit pull it out while drilling.

alburms311

I'll look for a reverse drill bit set tomorrow. My problem is going to be space to work, it's kind of at a premium where it's at.

I bought a set of left hand drill bits from Harbor Freight that has worked well for me through the years when removing broken bolts . If you have to shorten the bit to get to the bolt it's better then cutting a expensive bit .

alburms311

So I went to work on it this morning and managed to get it out with the tools I had. It come right out after lifting the truck a bit more some I could get more leverage. Now, what do you guys use to get the old gasket off? I have a scrapper, but it doesn't seem to be doing a very good job. Anything I can spray on it to soften it up, maybe brake cleaner?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks