• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brush Guard Bracket

01GRANDER

Hey,

Someone had a pretty cheap old m998 brush guard so I grabbed it. Only problem is that they didn’t have the brackets to mount it to my Hmmwv. Does anyone know which bracket I would need? And where I might find them, hopefully relatively cheap.

CB69A526-B151-44E0-AB93-A9DCCC8806B1.jpeg

F3F974BD-F93D-4FD6-9207-31A1BA2563AD.jpeg

01GRANDER

It won't work on the 3 hole bumper normally.
Do you happen to know a way to make it work or what would be the cheapest option? I see some winch bumpers on eBay for around $100, not sure what other parts are needed besides the brush guard brackets.

01GRANDER

I think that's known as an "A2" style brush guard.
You may need to have that winch plate style bumper to fit it on.
Sorry, its the only pic I have of those mounts.
Thanks, that’s the clearest photo I’ve seen so far. Hopefully I can find something relatively cheap, I don’t want a brush guard that much but it would be nice. I’d rather have better seats.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would need a winch plate, and 2 brackets for it, and the 2 guard brackets.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes a bargain winds up being a PIA. Why not just buy a unit that is what you need vs. creating a cluster screw of hobbled together parts that aren't meant to be there?

If price is an issue, weld up a Luverne type unit, like several other members did on this forum.

You can also weld up a traditional guard for even less $.

Sell the unit you have and use the $ to buy what you need. The winch plates you're inquiring about are costly IIRC.

Best,

T

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some pictures of the tubular bumpers installed on two of my hmmwvs. I bought one of them a while back with the brackets and it came with a welded plate that had bolt holes for the regular bumper.

Attachments

01GRANDER

Here's some pictures of the tubular bumpers installed on two of my hmmwvs. I bought one of them a while back with the brackets and it came with a welded plate that had bolt holes for the regular bumper.
I see you holding the winch plate to the standard 3 hole bumper, did you just drill some holes and bolt it on top of the standard bumper?

It appears mine has been modified already, not sure why but I may just roll with it. I should be able to bolt the top holes in the 3 hole after I drill two holes in the bumper and weld on an extension for the “pivot” bar they created on the bottom.7B7A375F-AE9A-40BC-A7B8-DD92CFB88988.jpeg

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you holding the winch plate to the standard 3 hole bumper, did you just drill some holes and bolt it on top of the standard bumper?

It appears mine has been modified already, not sure why but I may just roll with it. I should be able to bolt the top holes in the 3 hole after I drill two holes in the bumper and weld on an extension for the “pivot” bar they created on the bottom.View attachment 802600
Those are one of the 2 types for mounting on a 9k winch plate.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a 9k plate...brackets circled in blue are used without winch.
Brackets circled in red are to extend out for a winch.

Attachments

01GRANDER

Here is a 9k plate...brackets circled in blue are used without winch.
Brackets circled in red are to extend out for a winch.
Yeah, I was just confused because he was holding one plate in front of the 3 hole bumper. He also mentioned being able to use it on the 3 hole if you drill so I wasn’t sure if maybe he just mounted it on top just to get the right holes for the brush guard bracket.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I was just confused because he was holding one plate in front of the 3 hole bumper. He also mentioned being able to use it on the 3 hole if you drill so I wasn’t sure if maybe he just mounted it on top just to get the right holes for the brush guard bracket.
You would have to use the brackets I posted earlier to mount on a 3 hole bumper and drill new holes in the mounts. The one plate I was holding up was some modification someone made to use the tubular bumper with the same mounts I posted without any modification.

01GRANDER

You would have to use the brackets I posted earlier to mount on a 3 hole bumper and drill new holes in the mounts. The one plate I was holding up was some modification someone made to use the tubular bumper with the same mounts I posted without any modification.
My plan at this point is to drill two holes at the top of the 3 hole bumper, since mine has been modified already, it has that top cross bar which I’ll bolt onto the 3 hole bumper. I will move the bottom “pivot” bar they created up by drilling a new hole and drilling two other holes in the 3 hole bumper. It may not be original or quite as strong but I think it’ll work fine and I can do it with what I currently have.

01GRANDER

I realize it’s not going to be as strong but I think it will work fine. Hopefully I got the height somewhat correct, I think it looks pretty good. On my way home to drill a few more holes for bolts.
D7D01BF6-16E9-4660-BFA9-736ECBC5D192.jpegEE9D8B3C-BC4A-4081-8336-AAAD2591A135.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks