• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 CAT/Allison conversion

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Feb 4 update: placement of the front axle to set wheelbase at 118 inch. Stock is 123 inch, so will shorten the bed a little bit.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, most likely will be removable bed sides to service the engine. If I were to cut out a hole for the engine to stick up then that's about all that would be left anyway

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still working steering stuff. I borrowed an idea from the hot rod guys: when they replace an inline 6 with a V8 then the steering may have to be rerouted around headers and stuff. I used a chain driven offset box.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, stupid question time! I probably just missed you mentioning it but, how are you solving the problem of engine/driveline rotation so you get 7 forward speeds back?
Hey Camel,
The rear axle is easy: mount it upside down. The brake backing plates are spun around 180 so the air hoses are back on top of the axle, and the drive shaft is on the correct side. The front is harder as it stays right side up to preserve caster/ camber relationships. I am still pondering flipping the chunk upside down, which means custom axle shafts. The boys at Western Canadian Rockwell can probably do that for me. But I am also interested in a reverse rotation 1:1 transfer case mounted to the front output side of the stock transfer case. That configuration will absorb the front driveshaft left-to right offset. We'll see. Maybe I will try it both ways to see which is best. I can run in MODE with the eco-hubs, 5th gear should be just fine while I experiment.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I put the back bumper on the front which is the new back...well.... you know what I mean. I will keep the pintle and glad hands operable as I have a dolly that I pull with it. That allows me to pull a giant 5th wheel camper without having the 5th wheel coupler on the truck itself.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today, 4th of July, test fitting the doghouse. It SHOULD all go back together ok....when it all lines up then will fab some mounts to the frame, like it was when stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks