• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Built an anti wrap setup on my bobbed Deuce

samsimpson

I was getting pretty bad wheel hop in the sand so I decided to build an anti wrap link setup.

The pic is kind of bad, I need to take another one. Haven't tested it out yet (in sand) but so far just driving it around seems a little more crisp on the throttle, but that could all be in my head :)

Attachments

samsimpson

Umm, no, it is a single bar, with two mounting points on the axle and a shackle mount to the frame. Ladder bars are fixed on all 3 points and are for race cars.

samsimpson

I thought of doing something similar to that since I didn't think there was very much articulation in the springs, and since it isn't like I am going to go rock crawling. Do you get any bind in that setup?

The rear actually articulates alot more then I ever thought it would, could be since it uses trailer springs? Fear of binding up was what kept me from doing something like that, but I like it, looks super clean!

mudguppy

no bind. zero axle wrap.

the thicker 'handles' are on the M109 vans, which is what my truck was originally. they are supposedly intended as tie-downs, although the thinner 'handles' on the M35 have me wondering if they are of any real use - isn't much meat to those...

KsM715

Those handles are tie down points. Not for tying the truck down but for when you need to tie stuff to the truck.

jamesfrom180

I got home and looked over some notes I was just wondering why you used the hime joints on the axle. Seems alot of people use simple bushings and a hime on the front end.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
the thicker 'handles' are on the M109 vans, which is what my truck was originally. they are supposedly intended as tie-downs, although the thinner 'handles' on the M35 have me wondering if they are of any real use - isn't much meat to those...
Thats not correct. The different "handles" are from different build contracts. My M109 has the old "small" style and my deuce has the "large" style.

samsimpson

I got home and looked over some notes I was just wondering why you used the hime joints on the axle. Seems alot of people use simple bushings and a hime on the front end.
Bushings are mainly for the dampening (noises) and are cheaper, but in my case it was just cheaper to use them since I bought the tractor links. They were fairly cheap and aside from the trailer hangers and shackle, everything else I used was just crap I had around the garage. There is no benefit using heims on the axle side since it is mounted solid in two places, but it doesn't hurt either.

Since this is just a wrap setup, not a location setup, and the fact that I am not going to hear or feel anything from those joints anywhay, it was just cheaper to do it how I did it. Not to mention quicker, I didn't have to order anything :)

Now if I was going to be build them proper, I would of used DOM everywhere, real 1" Heim or large johnny joint, bushings with DOM housings on the axle side and the shackle mount and greasable bolts everywhere. But that setup would of cost a whole lot more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks