• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Busted Injection Pump

waayfast

Hello all,
My bad!Did a little gambling!I went to an estate auction last weekend and bought a steel container for 100.00.Didn,t really know for sure what was really in it---there were other engines parked around this box so I guessed it contained an engine.There was no chance to take the lid off so I gambled.
Got the treasure chest home and opened it.1 Each :LDT465 -with the C.
That part is good but the bad part is that the turbo has been pulled and the Injection pump looks to have suffered a catastrophic failure.
I have searched but not found info on this type of problem. Looks like the "drive" came apart and blew out pieces on the side of the housing that connects the IP to the drive gear housing at the front of the engine.
My question is has anyone else seen this happen and I wonder if could have damaged the pump and /or the drive gears at the front of the motor?

Thanks, Jim

Attachments

stumps

It looks to me like it got bumped when it was being hoisted. Look for a scar somewhere on the injection pump.

Also, if the engine mounting bolts come loose, the engine can torque lift itself in ways that can smash the IP.

-Chuck

waayfast

Thanks for the info!!----I thought that may be a possibility.I also noticed that the valve covers are "loose" which leads me to believe that perhaps it was running when the failure took place.Then during the trouble shooting they checked the top end, THEN found the real reason for it to stop running. The damage to the coupling is not too obvious untill you look close.
Is it possible for the drive within the housing to break/come apart? I had a pump drive coupling (inside splines wore out --pump no drive no more-- )on a Cummins 350 fail but not "scatter"-just slowly quit running till stranded on busy hiway.:roll:
Oh, and does anyone on here have these parts for sale?? Thanks
Jim

steelandcanvas

Got the treasure chest home and opened it.1 Each :LDT465 -with the C.
That part is good but the bad part is that the turbo has been pulled
I don't think it ever was a "C". That 45 degree fitting coming off the exhaust manifold, mates right to the exhaust system. Probably was a normally aspirated LD465. It's identical to my engine before we put the C turbo on. There's still alot of nice parts, and the container itself, not bad $100.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been injectors on evil-bay, and several members here have parts. Reasonably near you would be Idaho Motor Pool and Bryce Equipment (Utah). Please read the TM's about removing the IP, or get some expert help.

G-Force

That is actually the advance housing for the injection pump. There is a centrifugal weight assembly in there. Perhaps one of the weights decided to try and leave the housing. I would replace the advance assembly and see if the engine runs. Also, before you go any further see if you can turn the crank with a breakeer bar at the damper at least two full revolutions of the crank before you invest any time or money in trying to get it running. I would first remove the injection pump assembly first before attempting this just in case the advance mechanisn is binding in what is left of the housing. Let us know what you find.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I bet I have what you need. Yes, that is a non-turbo motor. You can tell by the exhaust AND the intake, the N/A intakes look like that, the turbo version points down toward the turbo.

scooter01922

Got a spare IP hydraulic head...:) The place i'm trying to buy one dosen't seem to want my money as they say they have em BUT its been 2 weeks and they can't seem to find the effort to send me a quote.

waayfast

To turbo-or not to turbo!!?? If it looks like its worth fixing I may look into converting to a turbo.I read up on some posts on that subject-some say why bother,just one more component to fail,and really no more power. OH YEAH?:-D Well what about at altitude? I live at 5000ft,wouldn't the turbo help the old girl at this elevation?? Gimp- how much for the parts in question sir??! PM me if ya like.
Thanks Jim

gimpyrobb

That IP body is for a turbo-ed truck. I will look for some parts tomorrow for you. Yes you can add a turbo to a N/A truck, just might have to change the IP timing.

waayfast

Thanks for looking Gimpyrobb---I think if the engine will run I will eventually put it in my "parts truck" and leave the unmolested '57 gasser unmolested.(Avatar)
The parts truck is a U.S.M.C.--may be interesting to have a Marine Corp truck since I rarely ever see one.Seems like 99% are Army -- a few USAF.
Anyone know whether the Marines had Guntrucks like the Army?? Thanks, Jim

m816

I just stumbled onto this thrread, The busted up govenor housing is very simular to what happened to the Untouchable on the way to Carlise.Very larg hole in the side. we tooke the peices apart and it looks like one of th e shafts on the weights loosende and got hung up on the housing. That is enough to cause a small explosion and then all the oil gets all over every thing and the is a bunch of shrapnel to police up. Looks like a weak part to me. not too hard to replace after you disassemble the left sid of the truck and remove the radiator.

waayfast

Well it sounds like there may be hope for this "in the way,piece of yard art" after all!It is still in the can so maybe it wont be so hard to get to the parts in question.

Can't beleive its been close to a year since we lugged this treasure home:oops:.Still have yet to even move it out of the way.HHHMMMM can anyone else relate to TOO MANY PROJECTS!??

Since we are back on this subject--- I'll ask again: Does anyone know if the Marines had gun trucks? Or at least give an opinion if the truck I bought this engine for would be rare or special since it is a Marine Corp wagon.My thoughts are :If the Marines had gun trucks then maybe restore it as one--(should be pretty rare I'd think)

Or if not a big deal that it is a Marine Corp truck--then maybe use it for a Bobber Project.

Thank for all the info/input from all!

Jim

gimpyrobb

If I never got back to you, I do have that piece. Your problem will be all the crap inside there! I don't envy anyone that has to work on THAT section of an IP.

derby

You might want to remove those rocker covers and check the push rods. There was a reason the covers were loose. It could have been red lined and stuff came apart in a bad way. Did You get a chance to roll it over? check everything over real good before you put too much time in it..................Ask me how I know!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks