• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

But wait, there's more: No ground for horn at steering column

KrispyKris

So yet another conundrum. In diagnosing why the horn only functions when the key is not turned, I found that there is no ground for the horn except for when the steering lock is in contact with the lock ring. It has been YEARS since I had the pleasure of taking a GM steering column apart. Is it possible that the "clock Spring" (GM has them too?) has a broken wire? Oh the joy of working on ex-Army autos. Jeepers. Who would ever run all the power through one fuse; lights (30A), then for the heater blower, horn and who knows what else?

cucvrus

Tough call. I thought the horn worked by completing a ground and activating a relay. But I am not well trained in electrical issues, I can fix them most times just by shear determination and copying of a unit that functions as designed. That is a huge help to copy and paste to the one yo are working on. I can't read schmatics. I can't even spell it. But check out your relay under the dash and see if that is good and functioning.

KrispyKris

Tough call. I thought the horn worked by completing a ground and activating a relay. But I am not well trained in electrical issues, I can fix them most times just by shear determination and copying of a unit that functions as designed. That is a huge help to copy and paste to the one yo are working on. I can't read schematics. I can't even spell it. But check out your relay under the dash and see if that is good and functioning.
Thanks, yes, the horn works by completing the ground with the horn button. Horn works, however there is no ground connection on the column shaft...So I guess I need to look at the parts book. I could be an issue with the Turn signal switch or a missing ground. By the time I get to work on these trucks, the wiring loom has really been cut and snipped. This truck is much better then most. Curious that the turn signals are live even with the key off.

wuznme

If the horn works when the key is off, you have the ground needed and no broken wire. Since the horn isn't working with the key on, I would say you have a bad ground somewhere that is causing the issue.

cucvrus

I am at this point now. intermittent horn operation. If I clip the ground of the test light on the threads of the steering shaft and touch the test light probe to HOT no light. The steering shaft has no ground. That is what blows the horn when completing the grounding to activate the horn relay. That is how I see it. I could be wrong but it seems to hold out. I am going to tighten and clean a few contact points. I never had the steering column out of this vehicle. Maybe paint on the steering box splines is at fault. I will determine that later. Everything clean and painted does look nice. For 2 days it blew every time I tried Then last night after working on other parts it stopped blowing and no ground. can't scare my helper and keep them awake with no horn. She does like that and I get pay backs all the time for my shenanigans. I will prevail. Seems easy enough. Have a Great Day Be Safe.

C15TA

I know I am getting old and have CRS but it seems to me that years ago we had this same ground issue with customers vehicles. Our fix at that time was to make up a short wire with eyes crimped on the ends and attach it from one side of the rag joint to the other. Keep it as short as possible so when the steering shaft rotated it didn't catch or rub on anything.
Barry

dependable

I believe the steering column is grounded. Horn switch completes ground to metal part of wheal itself.

Attached is picture of a quick, get though inspection horn button on old 1028A2 based dump truck(now retired out back).

Screw holds wire to steering wheel in one of the holes for horn button, and attaches to horn wire in column.

Attachments

cucvrus

I believe the steering column is grounded. Horn switch completes ground to metal part of wheal itself.

Attached is picture of a quick, get though inspection horn button on old 1028A2 based dump truck(now retired out back).

Screw holds wire to steering wheel in one of the holes for horn button, and attaches to horn wire in column.
Oh ELL NO. NOT even an option on this project. I may as well have painted the truck with a broom and put a small block Chevy motor in it. Never would I deface my M1009 with such hacking. My M1009 is exempt from inspection but it will still have a stock functioning horn. It only take a wee bit longer to do the job right the first time. No Thank You.

dependable

I may have misunderstood, I thought there was some question as to whether column was grounded.

Thought the picture would confirm that.

I run and maintain & repair 10 registered vehicles(4 of which are currently CUCVs, in daily use), as well as a the business itself. Not always time for perfection when the crew is costing me many $/min, lol, as they say.

Fortunately I still have a couple mint, low miles CUCVs I've reserved from the work fleet and stored indoors.

I have properly repaired these by removing wheel many times on many chevys (they are generally the same in GM cars and trucks early 60s- early 90s).

cucvrus

I think the problem is solved. The ungrounded steering shaft comes from the truck setting for 10 years and not having any movement. The contact surfaces have become tarnished. I can move the steering shaft in and out the horns blows every time. I guess put the steering wheel back on and steer it bank to bank. I sprayed some lube and contact cleaner down the column shaft and it seems to be grounded now. I think it has some rhyme and reason. Worked every time I checked it now. Thought about it while I was out for Halloween supper last night. A ladies car did not start in the parking lot and I rendered assistance. It was a magic touch. Her ground was loose on the battery. Newer Honda Odyssey. Couldn't reach the negative but was able to pull on it enough to get it started. Required tools for correct repair. Started several times. She just had a new battery put in it at the dealer she said. On the way home I thought. Ground bad. rust on shaft or paint. Either way. I walked in the garage turned and pushed the steering shaft and grounded the contacts. Horn blowing every time. Time to put the face back on my build. Thank you for the ideas. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

cucvrus

Horn blows first time everytime now. I guess it was a bit of corrosion where the bearings make contact with the steering shaft. Easy as that. Moving along slowly. Logging in the woods tomorrow. No CUCV's to use. Will be using the new truck. They build them everyday. Just be careful. Have a Great Weekend. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks