• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buyers Gude/basic model descriptions

Special T

I have been Thinking about buying a Multi-fuel Deuce and Half 6x6 for some time. I've been reading as much as i can on this site about this Rig. I think a basic overview of what separates the different models from each other, Where to look for refurbishing tags, and where to look for known weak points.

I am a new member and think this site is a great resource. The TM's and all the threads following peoples restorations, builds and customizations is awesome. If a thread like this already exists where can i find it? Thank you.

EWhytsell

There's not really a difference over the years. If your talking about the M numbers M35A2, M50, M109 etc... That wiki link is a good source. There can be differences that have been "created" over the years and are vehicle specific. Such as my truck, its a `65, has an LDS engine, and duals converted to singles by the military. Other combinations of things have occurred, but could never really be documented as your thinking. Also some marine corps trucks had rear lockers, not sure if that was standard issue or if some of them managed to find their way into other branches.

Special T

Thanks for the imput so far! I have read some interesting A2 Vs A3 information on here and I will try and summarize.
A2 Armstrong steering, Multi-fuel engine, Duel tires, Very basic,
A3 Power steer, Cat motor Auto Trans, upgraded air brakes, electric wipers, Super singles, only 6k made (or A2 refurbished to become A3) Central Tire Inflation System

There appears to be a large price differnce however if you factor in all the upgrades a A3 MAY be a good deal unless you are more of a minimalist.

DieselBob

A few other thoughts in the A2 ver A3. Anything painted “Cat” yellow means $$$$ for parts. The automatic trans is much more expensive to replace / repair if needed. The A2 in stock form has a higher cruise speed than a stock A3. You can’t push start a A3 and the electrical system must be working for the engine to run were the A2 needs no electrical system to run.

EWhytsell

Thanks for the imput so far! I have read some interesting A2 Vs A3 information on here and I will try and summarize.
A2 Armstrong steering, Multi-fuel engine, Duel tires, Very basic,
A3 Power steer, Cat motor Auto Trans, upgraded air brakes, electric wipers, Super singles, only 6k made (or A2 refurbished to become A3) Central Tire Inflation System

There appears to be a large price differnce however if you factor in all the upgrades a A3 MAY be a good deal unless you are more of a minimalist.
Dual tires aren't always the case even from the military. As I mentioned, my truck was modded by the military to single's as are many trucks.

Also I think you'll find on this site there are two camps reguarding the A2/A3 debate. They are different vehicles even if they share a common chassis. Same goes for the A1's though I think there's an actual forum section for it here. Furthermore I believe David Doyle, a member here was writing a book on the deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks