• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

buying a 5 ton Wrecker

WildWolfman

What do you guys think, a good investment, or a waste of money? how had is it to recover Trucks with it? How often do they get to be used on the ralleys? I found one for around 5k, just worried I wont get my money out of it. thoughts?

broman78

I'm not sure if you could or should call a vehicle an investment. But if your finances are in order and you want the wrecker. I would say do it. You will find uses for a wrecker or people will find you.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean by "recover?" Do you mean literally pull out stuck trucks? Or, do you mean recover vehicles broken down on the highway? If it is the former, they are excellent, provided you don't get stuck yourself. If you are talking about the latter, they are below average as tow trucks. Unless you need to lift the front end off the ground, you are better off flat towing with a 5 ton cargo. Remember, a wrecker is operating on a good day at over the max rated off-road load capacity of a cargo, and that is before you hook anything to it! Imagine what it would be like driving your M813 with about 12,000 pounds of cargo around everywhere you go?!?! I realize they are rated for 10 tons on the highway, but you ain't gonna like the way it drives compared to empty. Wreckers are very cool. I have owned three. I like them all, but they really are better yard cranes or possibly recovery vehicles (as in removing stuck trucks) than they are tow trucks.

Crash_AF

I'm not sure if you could or should call a vehicle an investment. But if your finances are in order and you want the wrecker. I would say do it. You will find uses for a wrecker or people will find you.
I realize they are rated for 10 tons on the highway, but you ain't gonna like the way it drives compared to empty. Wreckers are very cool. I have owned three. I like them all, but they really are better yard cranes or possibly recovery vehicles (as in removing stuck trucks) than they are tow trucks.
Both of these are 100% accurate for a M816. Flat towing with 36k lbs empty weight is a slow, arduous affair and stopping isn't much better. I use my wrecker at least once a month as a crane for either myself or my friends.

If it runs and operates, $5k is a really good price.

Later,
Joe

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want one myself but in no way do I think I could recover my costs on having it. Just for the coolness factor.

sw

area52

If it runs, 5k is good. What are you gonna use it for? Thats the big question. You can tow a large truck but like they said, its slow. Neat toy but can be expensive.

poppop

Mine is handy as heck on the farm. My Church used it to raise playground equipment and another Church used it to raise beams for an addition. Do I make any money, no, maybe some credits in the Hereafter:-D, was it worth it, absolutly. It is an awesume piece of equipment and just the pride of owning it paid for it. If the one you are looking at runs, drives and operates you can always get your money back at 5 grand.

WPNS421

I have an M36 with a Hiab crane which is great to do lifting etc, but once I extend the boom the weight I can lift drops 2/3. Monday I bought a wrecker and I will use it to lift the heavy stuff fornyself and for other MV members in my area. If you are paying $5k for a wrecker it's a real good price, deuces are going for about the same price. I have seen wreckers for sale starting at $12K striaght from GSA and GL and they needed work. Having a wrecker is a real good investment, the dealer I bought mine from sold 10 - 15 last year. having a wrecker is what I call "the flavor of the month" a while back it was MKTs what is next???

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree...with regard to the coolness factor...no other variant in any series compares. I kind of liken the wrecker to the Cadillac of each series! Even with all of their drawbacks, as I said, I have owned three and would consider another if you guys wouldn't make them so expensive for me!:wink: I've never owned an M816!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My 816 is deadlined right now but I am planning on getting it running ASAP.

Before the engine issue I used mine mostly for hoisting and moving heavy stuff around.

The 250 Cummins is a dog as far as pulling the 36,000 pound vehicle down the road. Add a towed load and you are going slow at high rate of fuel consumption.

They were never designed to go fast but they will pull ****'s half acre if you can chain up to it. The biggest assets (besides the crane) are the heavy winches.....we have moved deadlined armored vehicles with them. The rear winch will drag a dead weight of over 100k if you use enough mechancial advantage and scotch it down to keep it from being dragged.

When I was active duty Army (in Ammo and Trans units) we used them mostly for lifting and rigging.....if there was a HEMMT wrecker available we used it for vehicle towing.

Future plans for mine include super single tires and another engine/trans.....either a bigger Cummins or 60 Series Detriot.

One problem you will have is insurance and tagging. You may also have to have a Commercial Drivers License (I already had one) to operate it depending on where you are.

Before mine died I was paying $620.00 every six months through Progressive on a farm policy. Farm tags were about $100.00 a year.

Another issue is that everything about these rigs is BIG and HEAVY......one tire and rim is over 200 pounds....the equipment used for lifting and rigging can hurt you if you pick it up wrong. You need an assistant driver to help you manuver and rig loads and manage cables.
Winching is always a two man operation.

These are great pieces of equipment but they can quickly develop into a money pit.

Do plenty of research and if possible get together with someone that has one and tag along for a day to see if you really want one.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have an 816 and the "coolness factor" is definately there. As BK and others stated it is a good offroad recovery vehicle...but on the road...er...naw.

Not sure what you mean about "recovering vehicles"...if you mean recovering as in towing other vehicles you have bought...i would say don't bother. It would be cheaper in the long run to just hire it done...IMO. I guess that depends on how many you buy etc..

They are awesome machines for intended use...but civilian wreckers systems are much more user friendly and capable...at least for on road use.

We have used ours exactly 4 times...as a wrecker in about 3 years...the rest of the time it just looks pretty and draws ooh's and ahhhh's:-D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys really need to drive an M936A2 (I can't comment on any other variant of M939 series wreckers like the M936 or M936A1 because I have never driven one). I have owned two M936A2, although only one was operational and Jason Frisch now owns the second. That baby with the 6CTA 8.3 motor really had some b****! I am serious. I know some guys don't like the A2s, but I do. That little motor...and compared to an NHC250 it is little (504CI vs. 855CI)...would pull that truck right down the highway with no problems. When you first hit the pedal the motor was like, "I don't want to." It was like that for about second or so until the turbo got spooled up and you were at about 750 RPM. Once you hit that point, that motor would kick your butt back in the seat and wind out through each gear until you were running about 65 MPH. I know it because I did it. I have two M925A2s and they are the same, although it is really not the same effect because they are about six tons lighter. Off a stop, the motor in a cargo or a tractor (the only two other variants of the A2 series that I've owned) would just move with none of the "I don't want to" that my wrecker experienced. I don't even take the "I don't want to" as a sign of weakness. That wrecker weighed a lot as you all know. 36,000 pounds is a lot. That weighs more than an M113 APC, for example. Also, more than a 10 ton and more than an M911. In fact, they weigh about what a HEMTT weighs (just under).

WildWolfman

Thanks for all the posts, I am in central Texas at the moment, and reading up on if I need a CDL lic or not. I not only wanted the truck for the cool factor, but wanted to do something with it, not just a hangar queen. Been busy with school and such, have to take advantage of my GI bill before I talk myself out of school. I will attach some pictures when I get a chance.

-Steve

Stan Leschert

People much smarter than I, have already commented. Off road Yup! Highway towing... not so much. Mind you we can't even get a decent M-35A-2 for less than 8 Grr up here, you may have a cool truck. Keep us posted!nopics

Last edited:

halftrack

An M936A2 will be for sale shortly if you are interested. I definitely like the hydraulics better than the PTO setup on the 900
s vs 800. I still liked the M816 when I had it, the M936A2 just feels "more modern".

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I agree with Bruce,they are heavy and way under powered{M816}.I waited for years to get one and finally got one last year,I kept it for 6 months and sold it.It was easier for me to use my backhoe or excavator to pick things up. They are awesome trucks though.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are looking at a wrecker with the gas motor, such as a M62 or M543, the 5k price may be a good or not so good price depending on condition. The M62/M543 could also have mack or multi diesels, which are worth more. There was a nice gasser for 4500 in the classfieds.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned an M543A2 for four years on the farm here. We have been VERY happy with it. It is so much nicer than using a Payloader or backhoe to pick up heavy objects. The precision with which heavy items can be placed is really good and is a big safety factor. If we want to position an engine 1/16 in lower or whatever with it, it is very easy with the triple line rig on the hoist. It is also a really great recovery vehicle for stuck equipment. I would never part with mine. I in no way consider it a dog with a turned up Multifuel engine. Evidently the Cummins does not cut it well, but I never drove one. I have repaired and driven a friend's wrecker with the 6602 Continental in it. It handles the truck OK, but seems short on power when we are used to the Multifuel in ours. In the mud, we can turn all six axles in low range second gear with no problem with the Multifuel. Highway performance is also very acceptable in the 55 to 60 MPH range.
Someone mentioned that through Farm Bureau insurance was really affordable when it is not insured to tow vehicles on the road, just drive it as a truck, using it off-road for recovery and lifting.
Just my experiences, my 2 cents worth!
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks