• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a used humvee

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Im looking several options about buying a M998 or M1038 (cargo/troop carriers, not other versions) I want to have the 2 seater with the troop seats in the back.

Does anyone have any suggestions, and does anyone have any experience with Schlott Enterprises? http://www.army4x4.com/index.shtml

AM General will sell me a new one (military type, not civilian) but they want $70,000 for a M1097A2

Any help greatly appreciated.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22,
Unless you are just in a screaming hurry, the military is supposedly getting ready to announce they are replacing the HMMWV with something newer that is armored, better this, that and whatever.

I'm not sure EXACTLY when this will occur, but I would expect in a year OR LESS.

If you happen to purchase ANY HMMWV that still has any armor on it and is either a 6.2L or a 6.5L I wish you luck. That extra 2000 - 3000 lbs the armor adds just kills the engine performance. That from friends just back from the sand box. They all agree they make a 'fair' gun truck, but they are gutless wonders that can hardly keep a 60 mph speed, and struggle to keep up with other vehicles that are going faster.

Having said all that, when the military DOES release all current HMMWV's from service, there will be TONS of them on the after market. Kind of like the tons of deuces that USED to be available and are now drying up. Should take a few years to get ALL of them out of service. During that time frame, finding one for a WHOLE LOT LESS than $10,000 will be standard, not the exception.

SO, you gotta ask yourself, do you want one now? Especially if it will be dropping in value as the current in service HMMWV's are taken out of service. Also, a lot of the current HMMWV's have the newer Duramax diesel engine in them instead of the older 6.2L/6.5L diesel.

The replacement for the HMMWV will be in this category...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=41680

Just thought I would give a heads up. jim

FrankUSMC

I agree with M1075. The Hummers that I see here are rebuilt or cut up. The only big sell of hummers was back in the 1990s when the Marines found a loop hole and sold (traded) several hundred that were coming off the pre position ships. That was a one time deal and DOD closed that loop hole. The Marines traded the Hummers to a company and they sold them off.
I will bet all hummers now, to include the frames will be chopped in to small parts.
Remember the m151s, saw them at camp Lejuene, rows and rows........crushed.
One of the few, Frank

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree, I think the days of military surplus vehicles are pretty much over.....

Jones

I miss the good old days of DRMO. A friend bought a shop van body that no one else even bothered to inspect or bid on. We went to pick it up and found the underside of the van body had a complete running deuce still attached to it. Followed him home in the lowboy with him grinning so wide he couldn't roll up the side windows.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just bought a 98 H1 hummer wagon with a 6.5 turbo. It has a few engine mods (PCM, 4" stainless exhaust, and a turbo master wastegate actuator) and it still struggles going over any kind of hill. I cant imagine how gutless a fully armored one with a N/A 6.2 is. Its a fun vehicle to drive but I am finding how unpracticle and expensive they are. I will be selling it shortly.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075 said:
I think you may be dreaming a little here...good thought process, but not likely.
M1075,
If you want a look at 'rows and rows' of HMMWV's go look at the Clark Truck link provided.

While I used to agree that they would be 'cutting up' all the HMMWV's, in TODAYS MILITARY, where they gotta make a penny squeak, selling everything via GL, GSA, et al brings in large amounts of $$ due to the shear volume of stuff they get rid of.

And these days the military isn't concerned whether what they sell IS OR IS NOT road worthy. Their current mind set is "It's the NEW owners problem, not ours" when it comes to the legality of it all. Besides, does ANYONE HERE think that ANYONE could win any kind of lawsuit against the US military for selling surplus stuff?

Especially when they require a waiver to be signed by the new owner before being allowed to pick up whatever??

M1075

I just don't think that the HMMWVs will be replaced "in a year OR LESS" or that you will be able to find one "for a WHOLE LOT LESS than $10,000". If they were to EVER become available through public auction, then demand will definitely keep the price higher than $10,000. I like your ideas (and secretly hope they come true) but they just don't seem realistic.

I've got $10,000 to wager on this one or buy me a hummvw this year, whatever comes first!

FrankUSMC

Wallew
I just called Clarks Truck and talked to there truck salesman.......
all the hummers they had were from the big Marine sell (trade) I was talking about. They agreed with me there will not be any more. Look at the years the hummers are in the photos. Those are all the old first series hummers we had.
I think the photos are also alittle dated because they only have a few hummers left.
Also, the auctions took place around 2000. If the bidding went below 18000, the hummer was not sold and the company that owened them put it back into storage for sell at a later date.
That was a one time deal, the Marines needed some new gear and we found a loop hole to trade the hummers.
The salesman also told me that the hummers that are being returned are being rebuilt or if they are to damaged they are completely destroyed.
One of the few. Frank

NEIOWA

What are you guys smoking? DOD does not purchase a new grade of toilet paper in 1yr. Might MIGHT see prototypes of a HMMWV replacement in the next 5 years for specialty applications. And that does not guarantee any volume purchase. There are not funds planned for replacing the things. DOD is still short light vehicles with the phase out of the CUCVs. Medium/Hvy duty trucks are a much more pressing issue (and why all the old Duece are coming out) for limited funding.

The HMMWV is going to milstd light wheeled vehicle for MANY years. In fact current intentions are to reengine the fleet with a modern engine. IH apparently may be the leading contender.

If/when HMMWV fleet is reduced, any worth having will likely go to Foreign Military Sales and anything left will be demil. You're never going to be able to purchase an intact M998 series at Govliquidation (if they are even around in 2015).

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I don't know what is worse: that we are unlikely to ever see humvees surplussed in large numbers or the thought of govliquidation's continued involvement through the year 2015

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FrankUSMC said:
If the bidding went below 18000, the hummer was not sold and the company that owned them put it back into storage for sell at a later date. That was a one time deal, the Marines needed some new gear and we found a loop hole to trade the hummers.
NEIOWA said:
What are you guys smoking? DOD does not purchase a new grade of toilet paper in 1yr. Might MIGHT see prototypes of a HMMWV replacement in the next 5 years for specialty applications.
Allow me to address these one at a time.

Frank, basically what CLARK told you is EXACTLY what I said. IE, DA MARINES needed money. THEY got that money by SELLING OLD EQUIPMENT. If you want to believe the 'loophole' explanation dude, that's fine with me. If you ALSO wish to believe it was a ONE TIME DEAL, again that's fine with me.

But allow me to ask you ONE question. If DA MARINES found a 'loophole' once, what makes ANYONE think they can't find another one THE NEXT TIME THEY NEED STUFF AND CAN'T GET CONGRESS TO COUGH UP OUR MONEY???

NEIOWA,
While I concur with what you said. YOUR ASSUMPTION is that DA MILITARY hasn't BEEN LOOKING for a HMMWV replacement for the past four or five years. While I appreciate the fact that EVERYONE seems to think that the brass in the military is stupid and can't find their @sswhole with both hands, a flashlight, a mirror and written directions allow me this caveat.

THE ONE THING DA MILITARY DOES IS MAKE "CONTINGENCY" PLANS. FOR EVERYTHING.

Having said that, what makes anyone think that ONCE they finished development of the HMMWV, that same group of people didn't sit down and go "OK, what will we replace this with?" AND they have ALREADY REPOWERED the HMMWV's with the DURAMAX engine three or so years ago.

I should know. I JUST WON a 6.2L diesel engine OUT OF A HMMWV yesterday for $135 from GL. If you go on Gov Liq web site, they are selling 6.5L diesel engines RIGHT NOW.

My point is first and foremost, for all those military people in the pentagon to keep their jobs, they are consistently looking for that 'better mousetrap'.

AND leave us NOT FORGET that the 6.8mm round and the modified M4 that fires it was done originally OUTSIDE of normal military channels. Spec op guys went to Chris Murray of the AMU and asked him to develop them a round 'on the side'. In LESS than two years, it was done, approved by upper brass and has NOW been set into motion for the whole Spec Op community to shortly start using the modified M4 that fires the 6.8mm - AND IT ALL OCCURED OUTSIDE CHANNELS.

EXACTLY BECAUSE WHAT YOU SAY IS TRUE. Normally anyway.

FrankUSMC

Wallew
PM me your address, and I will dig up all the old articles I have on the trade of the hummers. The Bride and I are going on holiday on Tuesday so it may be a week or two before I can get it to you. Also, I keep useing the term "trade" because I think that was the loop hole the Marines used at the time.
Also. I am going to start another thread on the Marine hummer, it is about some thing very small, but kinda funny.
Not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine. Frank

ida34

The Marine Humvees were traded to a contractor for some contract work. No money changed hands. The loop hole was the fact that the Humvees were not sold for funds and the loophole was closed. We may see Humvees sold to other countries coming back like the mexican uncut m151s but if the US military M151's never made it past any loophole then I would suggest that a loophole is a rare thing and we should be glad the few that made it out alive did. We will probably see rewelded Humvees in a few years unless the government learned not to leave the pieces to big.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walle,

The latest M1113/1114 Humvees have the 6.5L turbos, same as the A2's, call it a Duramax or whatever. The original Humvee engine, the 6.2L was originally used in the CUCV......

Uncle Sam, yes he is looking for a replacement for the Humvee. Will it happen in a YEAR or LESS?? Hell no. Consider this. If the contract was awarded TOMMORROW, how many could a company produce per month? What about spare parts? What about retraining the 1000's of mechanics the military has??? Armored Humvees could be made at the rate of 750 a month... How many humvees are in the inventory?? tons, I am sure.. it would take years to replace them all if they started delivery tommorrow.

If Uncle was so hot to get rid of the humvee, why are litterally 1000's of them being RESET in Kuwait and the stateside ones being rebuilt at every major Army base? Go to Fort Hood, check out the old Dodge Dealership on Ft Hood St turned Contractor M998 rebuild facility for EVERY humvee on Ft Hood? Also, why does Maine Military Authority have a big backlog of humvees waiting to be rebuilt? http://www.maine.gov/mma/index.shtml

GL has always sold parts.. When I was a LT, I saw brand new parts go to DRMO because of a wrong disposition code, or the Army had too many of them in a warehouse. Was easier to DRMO them then send them back to depot... Seeing a 6.2 or 6.5L means nothing. Hell, when the really nice General Mechanics Tool Kits first came out in the fitted toolbox, one of my bone headed soldiers put a wrong code into the computer, and instead of being issed to a unit, they got sent to DRMO, where they got auctioned off...

I totally agree the if/when Uncle Sam starts to phase out the humvee, they will go to the FMS program for our allies. They will pay alot more than any GL auction could get. Plus that would keep AMG happy with spare parts sales.

At any rate, I take delivery on my M998 from Clark in 3 weeks. My business requires that we get to use as a test bed for some combat ID items we are working on. I'll take my chances that I can buy one now for $30K as opposed to one from GL in pieces for scrap metal value. It's a business expense/write off anyway.

Also, the USMC humvee's were traded off all way pre 9/11 when the military had to justify every dollar spent. With the GWOT, $ for the military will be there, and the USMC wont have to resort to a "garage sale swap meet back door deal" type of thing as before.

I think the day of a GL sold humvee will be the same day they release the "jeeps in a crate" left over from WWII.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks