• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Heater Fan electric modification

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dear all!
Does someone know the power consuption of the cab ventilation fan? It's the classical fan without AC, I want to try to get it working with a PWM control instead of the on 1-2-3 switch...

Thanks!

Christian

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For now I want only control the speed of the fan. In my eyes the pos. 1 is too fast and makes lot of noise. But your idea is great! Maybe I change also the valve on the coolant line!
My idea was also to add 2 small fan's for the 2 lines to the feet. to heat more the bottom part of the cab.

Thank you!
Christian

Are you trying to set up an automatic temp control? I installed an electronic servo on the coolant line if that is of any use to you. I bought the whole kit but you can buy just the valve if you are making your own controls.

View attachment 851550

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an update: I tried to change the switch with a step-less PWM electronic module. Forget it, the motor is much louder than with the original switch with the 2 resistances.
So after 3 hours of work I was at the same point that at the beginning... :-(
Christian

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitly! In low speed the motor buzz so loud that I decide to put the old switch in again.

Yea these are brushed motors. If I recall correctly i thought PWM was a better match with brushless DC motors…

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe.. but for now I leave it as is because switch and motor are working, and I don't like change a running system... :)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had that issue with brushed DC motors and PWM speed controls. What I did was use a H-Bridge and a cheap microcontroller to build a PWM controller. This gave me control over the carrier frequency. I was able to choose a higher frequency that was inaudible.

Just a thought if you really want to have the feature.

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the tip.
Maybe with a higher frequency can solve the problem. For now I let is as is and I will think when or switch or motor fail...

Thank you again!
Christian

I've had that issue with brushed DC motors and PWM speed controls. What I did was use a H-Bridge and a cheap microcontroller to build a PWM controller. This gave me control over the carrier frequency. I was able to choose a higher frequency that was inaudible.

Just a thought if you really want to have the feature.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks