• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cable - MX-7777 to Battery

JDToumanian

Hi Group,

I've been locating the necessary cables to connect my RT-524 radio and VIC-1 intercom, and I'm installing an MX-7777 suppressor per the consensus recommendations here. There are other threads about finding the cable that goes from the batteries to the MX-7777, but I have a different question.

When I ordered the MX-7777 I also ordered a CX-4720/VRC cable, but I later realized that it has the wrong connector to fit the MX-7777, though it would fit the MT-1029 radio tray directly. Last week I bought a CX-10071/U cable on eBay that has the correct connector to fit the MX-7777 and it has bare wires on the other end to go to the batteries, however the cable is coaxial type, with a center conductor surrounded by wire braid.

Should I take the connector that fits the MX-7777 and install it on the 4-conductor cable of the CX-4720/VRC? ....Or would you simply use the coaxial cable of the CX-10071/U by removing sufficient jacketing and twisting the braid into the ground wire, wrapping it with tape and soldering a terminal lug on the end?

Jon

Picture identification:
1 - Shows the CX-10071/U cable on the MX-7777
2 - The connector of the CX-10071/U and the power input of the MX-7777
3 - Coaxial cable of the CX-10071/U
4 - The difference between the CX-4720/VRC on the left and CX-10071/U on the right.

By the way, there are more of those CX-10071/U cables on eBay at the present time.... though they're a little pricey.

Attachments

Last edited:

Boatcarpenter

JD,

Use the four conductor cable and pair the wires so you have two plus and two minus and put a lug on them. Make sure you connect the connector that fits the MX-7777 to the wire so that the pins match what you want Pos. and Neg. in the suppressor. Very easy to check. I haven't done it in a while but it's easy to do.

Been a while but I think I'm right.
BC

JDToumanian

Yes I did end up using the CX-10071/U cable, I did not re-wire it..... I simply cut the other end to the length I needed and separated the wires and wrapped them with Scotch 33 insulating tape and some 'silicone fusion tape'. The thicker wire in the picture is what was the insulated center wire and the thinner one is the braided ground that I twisted together before wrapping in tape. I crimped on terminal lugs and then soldered them as well, before insulating. I am pleased with the result, it's about as good as factory insulation.

Jon

Attachments

Billy Bobbed

So did you end up with a 2 wire connection 1 pos. 1 neg.24volt to the 4 pin, and they were wired in the plug right.I just bought one to because I cant find the CX-10613/G.This cable was not cheap but what do you do.

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Yes the CX-10071/U cable is two-wire, a center conductor and braided shield for the ground. I did not take the connector that goes into the MX-7777 apart..... I simply tested the cable on the MX-7777 and batteries to make sure it powered up correctly. It did, so all you have to do is use the center conductor for the pos. and the braid as the neg...... No re-wiring of the connector necessary.

Jon

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread has been timely for me. I am wiring up a PRC-77 in an MT-3823 mount, with the U-383 power supply adapter. Just received a MX-7777B from "tbanks" (Thanks!!). An AM-4477 amp will be part of the stack.

This note concerns the CX-10071 cable I bought off Ebay and received today, as a result of the above post. Maybe my source was not the same but the cable I received has the problem of brittle and disintegrating insulation. As soon as I unwound the outer layer of strands, the insulation fell off the center conductor.

Jon, obviously this did not happen with your CX-10071, right?

(no doubt this will be resolved with the seller and is intended to be a heads up if anyone is contemplating a purchase 'right now'.)

Bob

JDToumanian

....brittle and disintegrating insulation. As soon as I unwound the outer layer of strands, the insulation fell off the center conductor.

Jon, obviously this did not happen with your CX-10071, right?
Wow, it disintegrated right down to the bare center wire? ....No, mine was perfectly intact and flexible. I'm sure the seller will send you another one, but if you have some suitable cable, like the long CX-4720 that I have, you could cut the length you need from one of those and assuming you can solder, transfer it to the other power connector as suggested in post #2 of this thread...

Jon

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seller is sending me a replacement asap so all is well. Most importantly, he is checking his inventory to be sure the same situation does not occur on other orders. "He who has remained un-named" has been a great guy to deal with:)

Bob

Mine came brand new and flexable no problem.I would say you need to contact the sell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks