• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Dodge Deuce/Genset recovery done!

rat4spd

I met Sgt Birkenholtz this morning at about 10:30AM at Camp Dodge. He was real helpful and courteous considering he's doing GL's work.

He loaded the MEP-003A on my trailer, and took me to the deuce. After unlocking it and chatting for a while, he left us to get busy.

We topped off the necessary fluids, aired up the tires, and hooked the gasser compressor to the emergency line via a gladhand. That worked flawlessly for the trip.

Things I learned: You need some real steering input to turn these things, and shifting is a very deliberate process. I lost a little antifreeze on the trip back. It had me very concerned, however, it was either I topped it off too much, or the cap leaked a little. After I unseated the cap, it took care of itself.

The truck is happy at 2500/2550 which on my gps was 56/57 MPH. The "C" turbo is loud. She cruised at around 175 degrees and we made the 130 miles in a little shy of three hours.

PICS:

Bringing home the deuce - a set on Flickr

Video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CY_ykGAjHo[/media]
(This vid may not show for a little while....youtube processing....

Please cut me some slack here. It took about 10 minutes to figure the shifting down, and I kind of mucked it up a few times. After I got off base, I had it figured out.

deuceman51

Ahh yes, fond memories of Camp Dodge and 63B school. Sgt Birkenholtz is a heck of a nice guy, i've worked with him several times. All the guys there are great to deal with.

dittle

Like ranchhopper said, if you try to "baby" the truck during shifting its a heck of a lot harder than just pouring the coals to her when shifting. I had some co-workers that I let drive mine a couple of weeks back and they had one heck of a time shifting because they were trying to baby it too much.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see your truck has a place to hang a garbage bag on the hood too! Mine has that and for the life of me, I can't figure it out!

rat4spd

I took the compressor off today....what a mess it was. Rod seized up, disintegrated, crank locked up. I see this as the weakness in open compressors. All of the chunks were lying right there, ready to fall into the crankcase. A couple of pieces were too big, but I cant help but wonder what made it.

So I guess it wasn't too bad having to take the oil filter off to get the compressor off...draining the oil was a good idea. :cry:

Fortunately, if one wanted to buy a new compressor, Bendix remanufactures that Midland twin, and it can be had "new" for $390. I'll hold out for a used one which a member is going to pick up.

cornrichard

Picking mine up next friday

I bought the desert paint deuce with no cover in the same lot as yours. I am going next friday to pick it up. What did you do about a travel permit? I have checked the iowa dmv site for trip permits and could only find them for oversize overweight stuff. I like that tan top on green deuce!

rat4spd

I didn't get a permit. I had insurance though. I figured if a LEO was determined to stop a deuce doing 55 MPH in a 70 with a person with short hair that could pass as military, I'd pay the ticket. Not a single LEO showed interest.

I don't like the tan top. I might have to broker a trade, but really, I like the back bare. I took the cover and bows off shortly after getting home. I like it now. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks