• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can anyone help ID these 4cyl diesel motors?

camp9

I bought these three motors and was going to post on the wanted to buy section what I needed for them. I figured there'd be a tag with the model # or something but nothing except a ser #. There water cooled ONAN, 4 cylinder diesel. I'm guessing generator motors. Once I know what i have I can look up the manual and post a wish list.:) Thanks much,

Camp

Attachments

camp9

I have a old one cylinder Petter I bought a few years back, and I've seen the old single cylinder listers, almost bought one of those a few years back. See the pattern here:) Never would of thought they'd still be in business. I'll embrace the power and see where that dealer is at in Gaylord. I'm going to post in the wanted section, but if anyone has a junk one I'm looking for a flywheel, and dipstick. Thanks for the info.

Camp

natem

We used the single cyl on arrow boards (traffic control). I wish I would have kept some when we got out of the business.

Those 4 cylinders might have some interesting uses.

Nate

ODdave

No I dont know anything about them, Sorry. I have a 2.3 cummins that is on a water pump and those look to be about the same size. My 2.3 has a bad IP.

camp9

yep, but you didn't have to recover these for me :p I have one of those Chinese single cylinder engines too I bought a few years ago that runs a oil press. Its a re make off a german design.

camp9

Are there any other models/makes of engines......... like the two cylinder onan that will have parts that are interchangeable with this model??? If I knew I could start looking for parts not specific to a lpw4.

ETN550

Are there any other models/makes of engines......... like the two cylinder onan that will have parts that are interchangeable with this model??? If I knew I could start looking for parts not specific to a lpw4.
Yes, Lpw2, 3, 4 all interchange. The military knows them as Onan DN4M and also uses DN2M but has no 3 cylinder version which is too bad because they are the best configuration of the 3 types. I have one of the 2 cylinder versions in the 5kw tqg the 802a.

Do a google image search on LPW and Onan DN4M and you will see how they are the same. The DN2M in my 802a has an LP logo cast in the block. Onan valve covers, though.

Not many 802a /803a TQG in the private market yet. Best to find a use for the engines and use LP parts to fix them. Cummins Onan seems to ignore them. They were introduced in the '90's and are still current LP production so good LP parts support.

I have a couple of spare LPW2's myself. When they do a changeout they keep the flywheels and starters.

I have found both military and LP manuals on line for these. The manuals are pretty identical. With the cast base and huge bearings they make a nice industrial engine. The fuel system can be tricky to set up properly and most fuel shops cannot do it. But all parts are available from LP.

Hope that helps you.

Last edited:

camp9

Thanks, that help a lot:grin: From what your saying the flywheel is kept, probably to put on the new motor when they change them out, so finding another one will be a harder find. One had a starter on it, so got lucky on that. Once I get a fly wheel we'll see if I can get them going. And also now that I know what to look for maybe I can pic up a two cylinder on a sale. Thanks again, sure appreciate it. [thumbzup]

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exceedingly curious about your acquisition. Are those motors intact and complete, except for filters, etc.? Sounds like you have plans for 'em. I might be in the market for one.

edit: Nope, not yet.

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

Just saw this. Pretty neat! I don't know anything about these, so can someone enlighten me on size of them? How do they compare to a 4BT Cummins (the only benchmark I can come up with) ?

ETN550

The Lister 4 cylinder is used on a 10kw military generator and used on 13 - 15 kw domestic generators, all at 1800 rpm. The 4BT Cummins is much larger and found on 50KW to 75KW+ size gen sets. The 4BT is one of the best engines made in its size, IMO. The Lister LPW are pretty good too but they have their quirks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks