• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you get scratches out of semigloss OD?

wilfreeman

I have some real light scratches (they are really only scuff marks) on my M38a1. It is painted 24087 OD. I tried buffing them with a soft cloth. I didn't want to try anything else until I consulted with the forum. Has anybody had success using any other methods?

Ray70

The problem you're going to run into is that typically the only way to remove the scratches is to color sand ( 1500 grit ) and buff them out with compound and a buffer.... however, on a semi gloss finish this will also turn that area into a gloss finish. aua

The only possibility I can think of would be to remove the scratches, either by buffing or sanding with ultrafine paper, then try to duplicate the semi gloss finish by either buffing by hand ( which will give less gloss that machine buffing ) or possibly dulling a machine buffed surface with something like 0000 steel wool ?
A lot of it will come down to how fine your scratches are ,exactly how shiny or flat is the "semi-gloss" finish on the truck and the overall condition of the existing paint.
Any hidden areas you can test on first?
You could try lightly sanding a small spot with 3000 or higher grit or 0000 steel wool to see what finish it leaves before trying anything in a visable area.
Any way you could post a good picture of the area you are working on? It would be worth 1000 words!

3dAngus

I use rubbing compound on my wife's maxima where she is always scratching it with keys, rings, etc at the door handle.
Works very well but not sure about your paint and concerns.

wilfreeman

Thanks for the advice Ray. I ended up using a real fine brush and touching up the areas. Looked like CRAP, so I took a rag with mineral spirits on it and let it almost dry out, then rubbed over the areas. This looks better, but now those areas have a whitish tinge to them. Hopefully it will look better after I wash her again in the Spring. It's not that big of a deal, as I do take my Jeep out on the trails and drive it around, so it will get more on it anyway. I was just thinking that if there was a "magic pill", I would take it!

3dAngus

Mineral spirits can blend in and dilute the paint and ruin it, as well as removing it to a degree. I would not use any kind of petroleum based product on scratches.
Compound will lift minute particles of paint and reimbed them where needed.
You want to be firm but not overdo it, so I do it by hand and feel it out rather then machine and buffer.
If it is a waxed surface, you might want to rewax the finished product after hand buffering with compound.

Last edited:

zout

Like Ray70 stated (you get 50 free points for that suggestion btw)
IF - you try buffing it on a semi - you will wind up with gloss - hand or machine either way.

If you try using anything grittier than 3,000 grit WET - and I highlighted WET - and very light - you can get up to 6,000 as well used in color sanding situations (they sell this by the sheet and ya only need one).
Use car soap in the bucket of water - pre-soak your paper - very lightly go over the area - your only going from extremely noticeable scratches to the extreme delicate one - for a semi surface I would then leave it alone.

IF your past your paint thickness with whatever butt arse deep gouging surface ruining scratch you have - you already know the answer - repaint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks