• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 3208 repower in the works, it seems! Bye Herc!

Trango

Hi Folks,

Crazy Bob here, trying to figure out how to trade sleep for more projects time.

Oh gosh. Just when I realized that I don't need any more projects, I get a line on a cheap and I mean cheap NA Cat 3208 with a spicer 6052C tranny. If you're on the mil veh list, you've seen my ruminations about a repower, but it looks like it might be happening (along with some brake upgrades!!. I figure if I can take a Jeep and turn up the brakes hard enough to lock up 37" tires, then splitting the deuce brakes into (at least) 2 circuits should be easy enough).

But I digress - this is about a cheap mill and tranny. The price is literally too good to pass up, delivery included. I plan on swapping out fifth gear on the cm60 tranny to get .69 OD!

Stock ratios:
C RATIO 1ST-6.68,2ND-3.52,3RD-1.97,4TH-1.17,5TH-1.00,REV-6.68

Granted, it's not a TURBO 3208, but hey - for this price, I can't complain. I suppose I could always bolt a cat turbo on there and keep the boost low. I wonder what the compression ratios are between NA and Turbo builds on those blocks are.... maybe I could just bolt on a turbine, turn up the screw, and crank out some insane HP on that baby. :)

Anyone want to commit to buying a late 80's Herc powerplant (650 hrs) and good used takeoff 3053 tranny? :) I'll let er go real cheap. :)

Cheers
Bob Ternes
1968 M35a2

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, one thing you may have to consider is that your steering shaft will interefere with the V-8. On Tom's CAT powered rig he used hydraulic PS. You may have to follow suite. Have you ever checked out Tom's website with all the pics of the buildup? Pretty cool! Tom is a great guy and plenty smart too!

Trango

Kenneth,

Wow - I had not considered that. I'll look into my options there. It (hopefully) will be as easy as converting to P/S. Last one I did was on a 1968 Toy FJ45 wagon - incidentally we also threw a TurboDiesel engine in there as well. :)

I see a whole new class of junkyards I have to get familiar with! :)

Cheers
Bob

MattS

Got a link?

You may have to follow suite. Have you ever checked out Tom's website with all the pics of the buildup? Pretty cool! Tom is a great guy and plenty smart too!

Wyattearp

Hi there Bob, new member here but was informed that you had a hercules engine and tranny, what is your asking price for the engine or both, shoot me an IM or email.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks