• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL required to drive 5 ton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceNewb

I'm thinking about finally moving up to a 5ton 9series but I was recently told that I would have to get a cdl to legaly drive it just because it is full air brakes. Is that the case? I will eventually convert and title it as an RV as I have with my deuces, which will eliminate the problem with cdl or not and weighted tags, but I'd like to be able to drive it around a bit before I go through all the work of making it into a camper.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at your state regs. It is different depending where you are. It usually takes under 10 min to figure it out. FYI, here in WY a 900 series RV is OK, but a 900 series cargo for the average person is a CDL.....2cents

ida34

This should be a forum topic by itself it comes up so much. Commercial Driver's License CDL. Think about it or search for one of my many responses from years past. Some states (California) have different classes of private driver's licenses but if you are not operating commercially you do not need a CDL.:deadhorse:

Wolfen

Here in Oregon I asked the DMV if I would need a CDL to drive a MV that was rated at 4 tons with air brakes and was A Antique (1942 build date) and was told I would need a class B CDL. Check with your state DMV.

BTN

I had looked into the NC regulations when I got my deuce. You don't need a CDL unless you're getting paid to drive it (or a couple of other reasons). You will probably need a different class of license though. If it has GVWR over 26,000 lb or towing more than 10,000lb requires a different class license. The GVWR of the truck alone will require a different class license (class B instead of normal class C). If you want to be able to tow over 10,000 lb also, go ahead and get a class A. My deuce was just under the limit so I still just have a class C. A lot of the info on license classes is in the CDL manual (even though you don't need CDL, the class info is the same): http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/handbooks_CDLmanual.pdf

I was looking into testing for class A or B at my local DMV office. The guy said he would not do the road test if I got the vehicle there illegally. So, I would have to find someone with that class license already to drive the vehicle there to do the road test. There is an additional written test also. You may have better luck at your local DMV, but I would ask about it first. I think the fee for testing was about $50.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ida34 has it. First word in CDL.

Westy and I had this discussion on the way back from GA yesterday. Ohio clearly states that you could drive a "commercial" vehicle WITHOUT a CDL so long as it is for personal use ONLY.

Although I'm not as cranky as before the rally with the insurance thread, CDL requirements are your responsibility to research for your state. Anything else is just anecdotal.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned earlier, 'can you be over licenced?' .... Probably Not.

(Exception if true: - I have read here somewhere, someone said that 'under licenced' was less of a fine than under permitted with a CDL - can't remember the thread - towing heavy trailer or something)

Question is, even if your state does NOT require a CDL, it will be a DMV (read expert) or a senior/DoT certified officer that says 'No'... HOWEVER, when you get pulled over by the local LEO, chased down for not pulling into a weigh station, or questioned by whoever attends an accident you're involved in, chances are ignorance of the LEO will cause a whole load of wasted time or grief if he thinks you should have one. Standing on the side of the road to argue your point untill you can proove you don't need one isn't the way I'd want to go. You'd be making him seem ignorant/foolish or whatever...

So, my money is with getting your CDL eventually, regardless of need.

.... "Actually Sir, it's not commercial AND historic so no CDL, BUT just to keep you happy.." (producing CDL) "nerr ne nerr ne nar narrrr".

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The final word in all this is to know what your state has to say about what you need.

There could be potential for opening yourself up to additional regulation by having a CDL, so just getting a CDL rather than completely understanding the law in your state may not be the correct answer, either.

2cents

jwaller

You won't need a "CDL" bc the "C" stands for commercial. BUT YOU WILL NEED A CLASS A license with air brake endorsement. and no you can't use your 900 to take the test.

commandojeff

As mentioned earlier, 'can you be over licenced?' .... Probably Not.

(Exception if true: - I have read here somewhere, someone said that 'under licenced' was less of a fine than under permitted with a CDL - can't remember the thread - towing heavy trailer or something)

Question is, even if your state does NOT require a CDL, it will be a DMV (read expert) or a senior/DoT certified officer that says 'No'... HOWEVER, when you get pulled over by the local LEO, chased down for not pulling into a weigh station, or questioned by whoever attends an accident you're involved in, chances are ignorance of the LEO will cause a whole load of wasted time or grief if he thinks you should have one. Standing on the side of the road to argue your point untill you can proove you don't need one isn't the way I'd want to go. You'd be making him seem ignorant/foolish or whatever...

So, my money is with getting your CDL eventually, regardless of need.

.... "Actually Sir, it's not commercial AND historic so no CDL, BUT just to keep you happy.." (producing CDL) "nerr ne nerr ne nar narrrr".
The state made the law, so they should eat it. Not everyone has the time and money to get a CDL. If you don't need one, why get it? So some LEO on the side of the road doesn't hassle you about his opinion? It seems like the facts of it being historic and not needing one is stronger than an officers opinion. I believe in obeying the law and not hassling LEOs. But I also believe that they should know the law and not be able to hassle someone just because they think you should have one. Makes no sense and probably wouldn't hold up in court. I'd fight that to the end. Just my 2cents.

preyn2

And I'm asking because I don't know, even though I don't have a dog in this fight: If a person doesn't need a CDL in his home state (for whatever reason), what happens if he drives that truck to another state that does require a CDL for that sized vehicle?

I can see the answer being (a) "It's legal at home, so we'll let you get by with it here." or (b) "Well, I guess you should have stayed in your home state, sir. Sign here, press hard, four copies. And since you aren't licensed to operate that vehicle in this state, I'm calling a tow truck."

As has been said, you really can't be overlicensed.

stay safe -

BTN

If you did get a CDL, aren't there things specific to that one state only? Something about fuel stickers required for different states? Also, you're required to keep a mileage log and/or fuel receipts with commercial, at least in some states (NC). Has something to do with fuel taxes. When I started reading about it, seemed like more burden than I wanted to deal with. I'm not driving for hire, so don't need commercial. There is a standard interstate regulation, but not 100% sure if all states adopted it.

Last edited:

poppop

I am a Farmer and as such in Ga. I can drive anything hauling my own products 150.00 miles from the farm without a CDL. But if i go North 50 miles into South Carolina they will shut me down where I am stopped until a driver with a CDl shows up to move the truck. I am in the process of getting my CDL now. Took the written test cold turkey and only missed one two many questions in one of the three sections. I will go back soon and retake that section.

markmontana

A good point poppo- a Farmer is a commercial driver- in other words he is driving for a (his) business.

The bottom is to find the exemptions in your state regarding CDL. Keep a copy of those with you- IF they are applicable to you. When you travel to another state- you are obligated to find out their regulations.

I choose NOT to have a CDL, and am very careful to NOT ENGAGE in anything "Commercial". I don't know nor care what anybody else does, but that's what I do.

Chief_919

Here in NC if you don't use it for commercial purposes you don't need a CDL- but you will need a Class B with airbrake endorsement, and if you tow any trailers likely a class A. You can get a non-commercial class A or class B license here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks