• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chain hoist as heavy duty come along / winch?

wandering neurons

IMHO, based on my small 2T chain hoist, you'll have four issues:
These hoists don't have much strength, maybe 5T max on the one depicted.
Using one horizontally instead of vertically may be hard as the chains will want to drop off the pulleys (they're loose-fitting and depend on gravity to hold them in place).
You'll have to do a lot of pulling on that chain, as they've got a huge gear reduction inside between the hand-chain and the main chain.
Most of these hoists only move 8-15 feet at a time, not 300+ feet of a SRW.

I have my chain hoist that I use on the davit crane in my M1081. Lifting/lowering an 800lb bale of hay was easy but I was dragging that hand-chain a lot just to get a little motion from the main lift chain. Gear reduction.

Probably better to get an electric winch, but watch the duty cycle. Electrics tend to heat quickly and require lots of time to cool between pulls.

I was perusing all the stuff on Eastern Surplus, and came across this "basic issue" kit which includes a chain hoist. I don't ever remember seeing those in Army, but hey, do they work as a winch? Anyone use one that way?

https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/7298/ALL-5229-Partial-BII-for-Military-Vehicles

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, that particular one is only rated 1/4 ton; good enough to lift the spare of the M939 5-ton trucks, for example.

View attachment 756810
That makes sense. I couldn't tell from the pictures in Eastern Surplus's ad, and there was no description. A 500lb pull obviously isn't getting an LMTV anywhere.

They do make bigger ones though. I found a video on YouTube of a guy demonstrating using it as a winch. Some of the ratcheting ones are also marketed as "pullers". https://www.walmart.com/ip/6Ton-10-ft-Ratcheting-Lever-Block-Chain-Hoist-Puller-Lifter/559113147

I'm sure it would be slow, but could be very useful to have in the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks