• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging 36v Forklift battery with golf cart type charger

PowerstrokeNC

I know several guys on here have pretty good forklift knowledge, but wasn't sure where to start this thread...

So I recently acquired a used 36v Forklift. It has no charger, plus most I am finding in a very short search online have been 3-phase.

So was wondering, could I get away with charging the battery with a smaller 36v charger, like a G-Cart type? Something that is pushing out say 20-30 amps.

I know it would take much longer to charge due to the capacity of the forklift battery, but would it work?

Thanks for the help.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on the charger it may not charge dead batteries. Our EZ-Go charger has a relay in it that will only turn the juice on to the plug IF the batteries already have a charge. (This would be great if MV alternators did the same thing as it would prevent a lot of smoking alternators.)

Our EZ-Go also uses 6V batteries, 3 in series in series with another bank of 3 in series. (Yes, 6 batteries in series.)

Even golf cart charger are kind of pricey for me.

PowerstrokeNC

I hopefully can find a charger for about $100. Dead battery issue might be a problem, but maybe I can charge individual banks to get enough to have charger take over at 36v.

zout

I just threw an almost new one away in the scrap heap and hauled away that was a forklift charger system - no one wanted it or could sell it. I hate it when I find out stuff like this I want after the fact - sorry

glassk

I hopefully can find a charger for about $100. Dead battery issue might be a problem, but maybe I can charge individual banks to get enough to have charger take over at 36v.
Usually the charger for carts has a third wire in the cable, the on board controller will ground that wire , which enables the charger relay,

http://www.lesterelectrical.com/service/knowledgebase/troubleshootingguide.pdf

That is a charger troubleshooting guide, will give you an idea of the operation for carts,

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks